OLC Effective Practices
To help make quality online education accessible and affordable for anyone, anywhere, at any time, the members of the OLC community share techniques, strategies, and practices in online education that have worked for them. All effective practices are peer reviewed to insure quality and to give submitters some documentation for tenure and promotion files. OLC focuses on five pillars of quality (see framework and narrative) in online education: access, learning effectiveness, faculty satisfaction, student satisfaction, and scale (institutional commitment to achieve capacity enrollment via cost effectiveness). See 2015 Effective Practice Award winners.
Effective Practice Submissions for 2016
2016 Awards will be presented at OLC Innovate and at OLC Accelerate. Awards for the current round of submissions will presented at OLC Accelerate in Orlando, FL, November 16-18, 2016.
We encourage you to submit your own effective practices on any topic related to innovation and/or technology enhancing blended and/or online education. The current round of submissions is open through August 1, 2016. Remember these practices are peer reviewed and can help with tenure and promotion. To add an effective practice, login to OLC and then click here: Add an Effective Practice (you must be logged in). Please note it will take time for peer reviewers to review EP submissions. We will email you when when the committee has made selections.
New for 2016: Share Your Effectice Practice at an OLC Conference
All Effective Practice Award recipients for the current selection round will be asked to present their EP at OLC Innovate. The Fall 2016 EP award recipients will be asked to present at OLC Accelerate.
Preparing for Submission
To help you prepare for submission you will need to submit the following fields on the submission form. Once we have this updated, we can create a brief screencast video showing people how to upload and the process to make things easier for them and hopefully increase the quality of submissions.
- Brief Abstract of the Effective Practice
- Expanded Description of the Effective Practice
- Supporting Information to help us understand the Effective Practice – the community will see these support documents.
View the Effectice Practices
- What’s New?
- Sorted by Institution
- Sorted by Alphabetical Order
- Sorted by Pillar
- See Evidence for Effective Practice Awards
Effective Practice Awards Selection Committee
- Renee Aitken, AVP for Educational Effectiveness & Institutional Accreditation, Wright State University
- Bucky Dodd, Executive Director of eLearning and Innovations, University of Central Oklahoma
- Arifa Garman, Director of E-Learning, Gulf Coast State College
- Angela M. Gibson, Professor, Core Learning and the School of Arts & Humanities, American Public University System
- Laurie G. Hillstock, Senior Customer Success Advocate, Blackboard, Inc.
- Jaya Kannan, Director, Office of Digital Learning, Sacred Heart University
- Witt Salley, Executive Director of Clemson Online, Clemson University
- Melanie Shaw, Director of Research and Strategic Advancement, Clemson University
Sign up for email updates to get notified of award nominations and winners.