Search for the Position of Executive Director for the Sloan Consortium
The Sloan Consortium, Inc.
The Sloan Consortium is a nationally recognized organization with focused expertise in online and blended education. Originally funded by the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, Sloan-C is now a non-profit, 501 (c) (3), member-sustained organization. Join with Sloan-C to lead higher education in meeting social needs for affordable access, quality innovations, and teaching and learning excellence.
The Sloan Consortium (Sloan-C) helps learning organizations continually improve quality, scale, and breadth of their online and blended programs according to their own distinctive missions, so that education will become a part of everyday life, accessible and affordable for anyone, anywhere, at any time, in a wide variety of disciplines. Sloan-C supports communities of practice and the collaborative sharing of knowledge and effective practices to improve online and blended education in learning effectiveness, access, affordability for learners and providers, and student and faculty satisfaction.
Sloan-C is the leadership and advocacy voice for online and blended learning in higher education. Sloan-C hosts conferences, workshops and symposia to help implement and improve online programs; publishes the Sloan-C View, the Journal of Asynchronous Learning Networks (JALN), maintains an effective practices database; conducts research and forums to inform academic, government and private sector audiences; maintains a catalogue of degree programs offered by a variety of institutions, and provides speakers and consultants to help institutions learn about online and blended methodologies. Sloan-C also offers an awards program to demonstrate and share expertise in the field.
Sloan-C also expands the expertise and knowledge base in the field by generating products, services and standards for the online learning industry, and seeks to assist members in collaborative ventures. Members include (1) private and public universities and colleges, community colleges and other accredited course and degree providers, and (2) organizations and suppliers of services, equipment, and tools in the online learning industry.
The incumbent will lead and guide strategic directions for Sloan-C toward the achievement of the organization's mission, strategy, and its annual goals and objectives in consultation with its board of directors; assure that Sloan-C and its mission, programs, products, and services are consistently presented in a strong, positive image to relevant stakeholders; represent Sloan-C with the public; develop and enhance academic and research collaborative efforts; generate and develop resources for the organization through federal agencies, foundations, and private sector organizations; serve as a liaison to state agencies and other private and public agencies related to online and blended education; oversee and manage staff activities in order to reach performance goals; set and build membership goals and enhance relationships with volunteers.
While the Sloan Consortium has matured over its first 15 years, it was only fully staffed and established as an independent 501(c)(3) organization three years ago. The incumbent leader will have the opportunity to work with the Sloan-C Board of Directors to drive and shape the future of the organization. There are key opportunities for advocacy and visibility in the field and representing the organization. There are also challenges in generating resources and maturing the organization as a membership-driven organization.
- Senior leadership experience in a non-profit or higher education organization
- Track record of increasing responsibility and proven results and outcomes
- Experience of developing and expressing vision for the organization
- Human and fiscal resource management experience, including demonstration of generating resources through external means
- Deep understanding of online and blended learning, including key issues of policy and accreditation, institutional priorities, infrastructure and scale, and emerging trends
- Experience working with boards of directors and or effective governance structures
- Ability to represent the organization to external constituents
- Knowledge of and experience with technology and systems to enable management and delivery through a virtual organization
- Proven record of hiring, developing, and leading staff and volunteers
- Demonstrated ability in maintaining a climate which attracts, retains, and motivates a diverse, high quality staff
- Capability to manage a geographically distributed staff, and work with a distributed board
- Capability to build capacity for volunteer engagement
- Knowledge of opportunities for appropriate outsourcing, sharing or leveraging functions of the organization to promote greater efficient use of resources
- Minimum of a Master’s degree (Doctorate preferred, but significant related experience may be substituted.)
Other Optional Expertise
Candidates may also bring specific expertise in one or more of the following areas of professional associations or online learning:
- Membership, marketing, affiliations and sponsorships
- Academic publishing, organizational communications
- Managing conferences, virtual events, workshops, certificates or other learning activities
- Professional association operations and management
- Online teaching, learning, instructional design and research
- Online academic administration
- Educational technology and social network tools
Reports to the President of Sloan-C, who is chair of the Board of Directors .
If you are interested in being a candidate for this position please review the information on our website and file the application here (you must be logged in).
Candidates with questions about Sloan-C organization and structure, including employee benefits should contact email@example.com, Sandi Fecteau, Chief Financial Officer, The Sloan Consortium, Inc.
For specifics about the position itself, please email the president of the board at Meg.Benke@esc.edu, Meg Benke, President of the Board of the Sloan Consortium.
Executive Director, The Sloan Consortium, Inc.
Applications and nominations are invited for the position of Executive Director. The Sloan Consortium (Sloan-C) is a non-profit 501 (c)(3) organization dedicated to integrating online and blended education into the mainstream of higher education, helping institutions and individual educators improve the quality, scale, and breadth of online and blended education. It is a membership organization with individual members (primarily faculty and administrators) and college and university institutional members.
The Sloan Consortium is a virtually managed organization, with a geographically distributed staff of 9 full-time employees and 20 contract employees. For more information on the organization and application instructions visit the web site at http://sloanconsortium.org/executivedirectorsearch
Applicants should submit a cover letter summarizing their qualifications, curriculum vitae or resumé, short statement perspectives related to online and blended education and three names of references, their addresses and contact information. Review of applications will begin October 9, 2011 and will continue until the position is filled.