The Institute for Engaged Leadership in Online Learning
On-site: August 11–14, 2014, State College, Pennsylvania
Project (Online): September 13–October 3, 2014
OLC Pre-conference Workshop: October 29, 2014
The Institute for Engaged Leadership in Online Learning (IELOL) is a unique blended-learning leadership development program sponsored by Penn State and the Online Learning Consortium. Go to IELOL website. Applications may be posted here.
Learn more about the program at our free INFORMATIONAL WEBINAR: February 27, 2014 1pm ET.
This institute is designed to serve the leadership development needs of professionals in the rapidly expanding field of online learning.
IELOL is a cohort-based program requiring a variety of individual, group, and team project work including a team-based case-study. It is expected that participants fully participate in all aspects of the program in order to build community and maximize the potential of IELOL for all participants.
Being a participant in IELOL has reshaped my thinking and helped me work more purposefully to lead my university into online learning. I have come to see how important it is to balance day-to-day operational tasks with leadership activities as I help folks at my institution transform their thinking and change old paradigms. The IELOL program content was “spot-on” regarding leadership challenges common to universities, and the IELOL facilitators were knowledgeable, engaging, and helpful throughout the program. Best of all, now I am part of an IELOL alum group that is a tremendous resource for me going forward!
— Katie Jacobson, Point Loma College, IELOL 2012
- Develop an understanding of the role of online learning in a rapidly changing higher education contex
- Conceptualize a leadership perspective to address institutional challenges in higher education
- Recognize and seize institutional opportunities for leadership in online education
- Establish a network of international colleagues involved in a variety of online education initiatives
Identify the leading forces impacting higher education and online learning globally
Benefits of Attending
- Interact with national- and international-level leaders in the field of higher and online education
- Experience leadership-development thinking in order to respond to online learning opportunities
- Participate in an immersive, team-building case study
- Formulate a strategy for defining of a vision for the future of online learning within your institution
- Receive an annual individual membership in Online Learning Consortium
- Participate in a network of professionals and engagement with a growing IELOL alum community
Who Should Attend
This IELOL experience is designed for:
- persons positioned for leadership contributions in their institutions
- persons with such occupational titles as manager, associate director, assistant director
- personnel with responsibilities for online education initiatives
Applications, with supporting nominations, will be reviewed and accepted on a rolling-enrollment, first-come, first-served basis. Preference will be given to candidates with the following qualifications:
- three to five years of experience in higher education
- desire to further develop their leadership capability in online education
- ability to apply the leadership skills and competencies to an institutional setting
- willingness to contribute to high-production project teams during the institute
This is a limited-enrollment program. Enrollments for IELOL are limited to 40 participants.
- February 1st: IELOL 2014 open for applications
- April 1st: IELOL 2014 application submission deadline
- June 29: Registration deadline
- July 22: Hotel reservations due
- Online Primer: July 14–August 1, 2014
- On-site: August 11–14, 2014, State College, Pennsylvania
- IELOL Project (Online): September 13–October 3, 2014
- OLC Pre-conference Workshop: October 29, 2014
Learn more about the application and fee.
For more details go to IELOL website.