Blended Learning Mastery Series
The Blended Learning Mastery Series focuses on the research, teaching and assessment of courses which blend face-to-face and online activities into one course experience. Through a series of workshops, you will explore relevant research to help you design an effective blended learning environment. By engaging in discussions, activities and reflection, you will improve your understanding of how to seamlessly merge online and face-to-face activities into a unified learning experience. You will explore best practices in the structure of learning activities which help your students feel connected to you as the instructor and to each other, as well as methods of assessing their progress and understanding of the course content. You will learn how to plan for and maximize time spent face-to-face, which types of learning activities are best suited to each environment, and gain exposure to tools which will increase feelings of connectedness.
- Analyze research related to blended learning design, student learning and satisfaction, and assessment
- Develop a blended course design plan with outcomes and objective
- Analyze assessment strategies for their suitability for face-to-face or online use
- Develop an assessment plan for your blended course
- Analyze teaching methods and learning activities for use in either face-to-face or online settings
- Develop a teaching unit for your blended course that includes face-to-face and online components
Prerequisite: Online teaching experience or New to Online: The Essentials workshop (1 week)
This Mastery Series is made up of three workshops, each one week long. Each workshop also includes a one-hour, synchronous (live) session. Between each workshop there will be a three-week break to give you time to complete self-guided research and reflect on your learning. Total length of time to completion: 12 weeks.
Who should attend?
- Faculty interested in developing courses in the blended format
- Instructional designers
What are the key takeaways from the workshop?
- Perform a critical analysis of a course you currently teach or support based on research and best practices
- Design an assessment plan which incorporates formative and summative assessments
- Develop a blended unit of instruction, seamlessly combining face-to-face and online elements
- To learn more about the Blended Mastery Series Program please review the Blended Webinar Recording.
Successful completion of the series results in a Recognition of Mastery in Blended Learning.
Includes all 3 workshops* College Pass coupons may not be used on any Mastery Series programs.
Next Class Dates
Fall Series Class
September 26 - November 28, 2014
Winter Series Class
December 5, 2014 - February 13, 2015
Each workshop is one week long. Between each workshop there will be a three-week break to give you time to complete some self-guided research and reflect on your learning.
- Blended Learning I: Blended Learning Research & Design: Research in blended learning highlights important considerations for effective blended learning designs, including such things as course structure, strategies to improve student learning and satisfaction, and assessment methods. This workshop will provide the research foundation you will need to design an effective blended course, beginning with the blended course design you will develop in this workshop.
- Blended Learning II: Blended Learning Assessment Techniques: Assessment and feedback are critical to learning; however, some assessment strategies are easier to implement online while others are more suited to the face-to-face environment. In this workshop, you will learn about a variety of assessment techniques and develop an effective assessment plan for your blended course.
- Blended Learning III: Blended Learning Teaching Techniques: In a blended course, teaching methods and learning activities for the face-to-face and online components need to be considered. In this workshop, you will learn about teaching methods and learning activities to improve student learning and increase student satisfaction and engagement. You will then apply that learning to the development a teaching unit for your blended course that includes face-to-face and online components.
*College Pass coupons may not be used on any Mastery Series programs.