Workshop Model and Policies
Workshop Registration Period
Upon registering and paying for a workshop, you will receive an enrollment key to access your workshops at http://community.sloanconsortium.org. This enrollment key is for your personal use and should not be shared with anyone else. Once a workshop begins, can use your enrollment key at any time to access your workshop. You will have access to that workshop for 365 days starting on the day you enroll. Please note, you need to enroll in a timely fashion to receive an Award of Completion for a workshop.
To receive an Award of Completion for a workshop, you must
- enroll in your 7-day asynchronous workshops no later than the 3rd day of the workshop and complete all required assignments by their stated deadlines.
- enroll in your 3-day asynchronous workshops no later than the beginning of the 2nd day of the workshop and complete all required assignments by their stated deadlines.
- enroll in your 4-hour synchronous workshops by the day of the event, attend the entire 4 hour live session, and complete all required assignments by their stated deadlines. Please expect to complete up to one hour of prep activities (i.e. technology or tool check in, reviewing session agenda, and/or responding to a simple pre-survey) prior to the synchronous session. Because of this, we suggest you log in no later than 1 hour before the synchronous session to complete these activities.
If you do not satisfactorily complete an OLC workshop for which you need an Award of Completion to advance to another OLC workshop, to count the workshop as an elective for the Certificate Program, or to provide your organization with proof of professional development activities, you will have to retake the workshop at an additional cost.
OLC strives to deliver all workshops as scheduled. However, if fewer than 15 people register for a workshop, or if a workshop facilitator falls ill, we reserve the right to re-schedule or cancel workshops. If this happens, we will give as much advanced notice as possible. In the event a workshop is cancelled or rescheduled, you will be given the opportunity to select another workshop in the same calendar year that fits your schedule and your registration payment will be applied to that workshop. No refunds will be given.
If you register and pay for an OLC workshop and are unable to enroll (due to personal schedule conflicts, illness, etc), we will be happy to apply your payment to another OLC workshop in the same calendar year upon your written request to email@example.com No refunds will be given.
You may request to transfer to a different session of a workshop for which you are registered at no additional charge provided the request is made before the day the workshop opens. Once you use your enrollment key to access a workshop, no transfer to another workshop or refund will be allowed.
Note: OLC offers special Mastery Series workshops which are a set of three in-depth workshops on a specific topic. Partial credits will not be given for individual workshops in the series. Transfer requests will be accepted, but you will have to retake the entire series, regardless of the work you completed prior to transferring. If you transfer prior to enrolling, you can transfer without additional fee. If you request a transfer after beginning the Mastery Series, you will be charged an administrative fee of $350.
OLC is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for all workshop participants in accordance with federal guidelines. If you have a disability, use assistive technology, or need accommodation to fully access a workshop, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org . You will be contacted by someone from our OLC Institute staff to discuss your needs.
Intellectual Property & Copyright
Unless stated otherwise, OLC and/or workshop facilitators retain copyright on all workshop materials. Please do not copy workshop materials or distribute them to anyone without prior written approval from the copyright owner.
Benefits and Outcomes
- Access to workshop materials for 1 year
- Interact with subject matter experts or leaders in field
- Network with faculty from all over the country (some international)
- Enhance/acquire skills to teach effectively online
- Access numerous resources provided by facilitators and workshop participants
- Earn recognition for your successful completion of the workshop
- Designed to build or enhance educators’ professional knowledge, skills, and leadership in distance/online education and training
- Designed as flexible, learner-centered offerings, OLC educational initiatives integrate core knowledge and theory with practical, experiential-based exercises, case studies, and discussions
- Educational initiatives are presented via the Internet and web conferencing, with supplemental print and multi-media formats so travel is not required
- Participants may enroll in workshops on a certificate or non-certificate basis
- Develop skills in distance education and online learning
- Expand current knowledge and apply new ideas in practice
- Provide grounding in the pedagogy of online teaching and learning
- Prepare participants to facilitate online, built upon OLC’s effective practices, using their current teaching or training materials
- Gain hands-on experience as a distance learner
Possible Career Outcomes
- Prepare for a distance education position
- Enhance career opportunities within individual’s own organization or externally