OLC Effective Practices
To help make quality online education accessible and affordable for anyone, anywhere, at any time, the members of the OLC community share techniques, strategies, and practices in online education that have worked for them. All effective practices are peer-reviewed to ensure quality and to give submitters some documentation for tenure and promotion files. OLC focuses on five pillars of quality (see framework and narrative) in online education: access, learning effectiveness, faculty satisfaction, student satisfaction, and scale (institutional commitment to achieving capacity enrollment via cost-effectiveness).
Two rounds of Effective Practices are awarded annually. The first round is awarded each spring at the OLC Innovate conference in April. The second round of Effective Practice Awards is presented at the OLC Accelerate conference in November. Awardees will be given the opportunity to present at the appropriate conference, as well as presenting a webinar at a later date.
2019 OLC Effective Practices Open for Submissions:
Timeline of Important Dates:
- Nominations due by 11:59 pm ET January 31, 2019
- Notification of acceptance by February 18, 2019
- Deadline for presenters to accept is February 28, 2019
- Deadline for presenters to register for OLC Innovate is March 4, 2019
- Final date for presenters to edit abstracts is March 4, 2019
- Final presentation upload date is March 4, 2019
Submissions for effective practices included topics related to innovation and/or technology that enhance the field of digital learning. These practices are peer reviewed and can help with tenure and promotion. (When the submission process is open): To add an effective practice, login to OLC and then click here: Add an Effective Practice (you must be logged in). Please note it will take time for peer reviewers to review EP submissions. We will email you when the committee has made selections. All Effective Practice Award recipients for the current selection round will be asked to present their effective practice at OLC Innovate.
Preparing for Submission
To help you prepare for submission you will need to submit the following fields on the submission form.
- Brief Abstract of the Effective Practice
- Expanded Description of the Effective Practice
- Supporting Information to help us understand the Effective Practice – the community will see these support documents.
View the Effective Practices
- Sorted by Institution
- Sorted by Alphabetical Order
- Sorted by Pillar
- See Evidence for Effective Practice Awards
If you have questions, please contact:
Devon Cancilla, Ph.D
Online Learning Consortium
Chief Knowledge Officer
Sign up for email updates to get notified of award nominations and winners.
Previous Effective Practice Award Winners
Awards for the current round of submissions will be presented at OLC Innovate in Denver, CO, April 3-5, 2019.