Transforming field experts into educators: Leveraging expertise to create student-centric instruction
Concurrent Session 7
Looking for ways to transform your subject matter experts into skilled top-notch instructors? Subject matter experts possess the expertise to teach topics but often lack the skills and competencies needed to effectively deliver instruction. Join us in this session to see how we created a comprehensive faculty development program leveraging military experience to delivery student-focused instruction.
Developing faculty is challenging for any university. Just because someone has knowledge and experience on a particular topic, it does not always translate into them being an effective instructor. What we have learned is that often times these “subject matter experts” utilize a ‘sage on the stage’ teaching methodology supported by ‘death by PowerPoint’. We recognize this is the least effective way for people to learn and translates to the lowest amount of application of newly learned skills in the workplace. In our years of experience working at a military university, we have recognized that there is a need to transform subject matter experts with extensive training backgrounds into highly skill, student-centered educators. What we have created is a scaffolded and broad spectrum of faculty development techniques which leverage expertise whi
In this interactive session we will:
- Identify a scaffolded approach to faculty development
- Discuss lessons learned in instructor onboarding
- Illustrate our current strategies on how to create student-centered educators
- Examine ways you can mitigate resistance to online adoption
The presenters will engage attendees in a conversation intended to paint a vision of a faculty development program that works for the benefit of students.
- Discover a variety of approaches to connecting faculty with development opportunities.
- Incorporate existing development programs into targeted opportunities for growth.
- Create a framework for a subject matter expert to educator conversion
le instilling the finer grains of learning science with the power of technology.