Using Skype as an interview method or tool for career pathways
Concurrent Session 5
Participants will work together to understand utilizing Skype effectively to assist in building a career pathway to a desired position. Unit leaders will receive tips and hints on effectively interpreting facial and body language cues when conducting Skype interviews. Participants will develop ideas for their own application for Skype interviews.
Hiring practices have changed in higher education. Many times initial or even second interviews are conducted via Skype rather than on the phone or in person. Based on a single Skype encounter, candidates are invited to campuses as finalists or may be removed from the potential hiring list. Understanding and developing the skills needed for effectively interviewing and effectively being interviewed via Skype is important to today’s higher education professionals. This workshop will be highly interactive. Participants will engage in idea sharing, practice, and information gathering, with time allotted for specific questions and answers.
Attendees will (a) participate in activities that will exemplify best practices and characteristics of using technology as an interview tool. Case-studies, video, and practical application will be used to share effective practices. Web-based tools will be shared to allow interviewers to establish solid skills in using web-based interview techniques. Web-based tools will be shared with participants as they consider their own career pathways and how they can most effectively utilize Skype and other web-based interfaces to successfully maneuver the interview process.
This workshop is designed to allow participants to meet the following learning outcomes:
- Explore best practices in a web-based, technology dependent interview.
- Build skills in using Skype as an interview tool.
- Create strategies to successfully complete Skype interviews as an interviewee.
Expectations of deliverables for this session:
- A website will be designed with information for the participants to build skills as interviewers using Skype and for interviewees preparing for their own Skype interviews.
- Participants should bring their own mobile device (or devices) to use during the workshop.
- This workshop would appeal to all career seekers who may be asked to participate in a Skype interview.