Transition Management: Ensuring Success When Updating Your LMS
Concurrent Session 4
Learning Management System (LMS) transition is inevitable. With a combined perspective from a faculty/campus administrator, a training/service representative, and an LMS administrator, we will identify potential pitfalls and prepare you for a successful transition by providing a road map and resources you can immediately apply to your institutional planning process.
- Gain new ideas and a fresh perspective on LMS updates and transition process
- Integrate necessary resources and communication plans into current organizational processes
- Discuss steps for incorporating the role of faculty in the update and transition process
- Define and implement evaluation plans that measure success of LMS updates and transitions
Learning Management System (LMS) updates are inevitable. If you use an LMS (Blackboard, Moodle, Desire2Learn, etc.) in K-12, Higher Ed, online, or hybrid courses to host course content, information provided in this presentation is relevant to you. Whether you are transitioning from one LMS to another–or more commonly, implementing the latest version update–the change requires careful planning to be seamless. We often have to step out of our normal roles to manage the technical, design, training, and project management aspects needed to properly prepare for the transition. Because this process can be time-consuming, we also often do not have the time or resources to review the success of the overall process. So, how can we take a step back and look at the big picture? What are the steps to a successful implementation? Which roadblocks can we anticipate and subsequently prepare for? How can we best plan so that all parties involved seamlessly adjust to the change?
In this session, we will use our unique combined perspectives to prepare you for a transition. We will provide you with a success roadmap for navigating this change, identify several potential pitfalls to be mindful of, and arm you with additional valuable resources you can immediately apply to enhance existing organizational processes.
This presentation will be beneficial to departments including, but not limited to: LMS/Systems Management, Learning Technology, Faculty and Student Training, Campus Administration, and Support. Our diverse presentation team encompasses viewpoints from three key parts of the organization to provide you with a well-rounded assessment of the LMS upgrade process. We will be blending my perspective as a faculty and campus administrator with the experience and expertise of both, a member of the upgrade implementation team, and a member of the Systems/Training team.
During the presentation, you will have the opportunity to engage in several interactive activities such as:
- Opinion and experience polling
- Examples of a training/workshop course
- Demonstrate examples of click-through testing (to be included in additional web resources)
At the conclusion of the presentation, you will leave with valuable resources for future reference including:
- Spreadsheet template for managing project timeline
- Link to web resources including
- Resource and reference documentation
- Curated pre-existing web resources
The process overview is designed to catapult your initial preparation and place you well on your way to a successful LMS transition.