Welcome to OLC Innovate 2018!
Welcome to Nashville! We hope you enjoy the conference, particularly 2018’s features including the HBCU Summit, the Community College Summit and TAACCCT SkillsCommons IMPACTcommunity meeting, the Innovation Installation, the Innovation Lab featuring the Whose Design is it Anyway? challenge, our Evening Campfire Gatherings including Thursday Night: IDEA Night: Inclusion, Diversity, Equity & Advocacy; our Swap+Meet activities, and our OLC contests. Follow us on social media @OLCToday and use #OLCInnovate when you post photos and commentary to social media.
IMPORTANT UPDATES for our Conference Attendees
Please be sure to read through all of the updates below in order to be fully informed and prepared for next week’s events.
Conference Registration Desk – Ryman Hall Foyer B1 (Gaylord Opryland)
Tuesday, April 17:
5:00pm – 7:00pm
Wednesday, April 18:
7:00am – 5:30pm
Thursday, April 19:
7:00am – 5:30pm
Friday, April 20:
7:30am – 12:30pm
Wireless Internet Access for Conference Space
Download the updated OLC Conference Mobile App
Available now in the Apple iTunes store for iPhone and iPad
Available now in the Google Play store for Android
We are continuously improving our app. This new version includes improved search functions, performance enhancements, and is part of our improved single sign-on user experience. Please log in using your OLC user account.
In addition to the OLC Conferences mobile app, we also recommend you download the Gaylord Hotels Mobile App to help you find your way around the resort. The resort’s wayfinding app uses iBeacon technology and is available for IOS or Android.
Don’t forget to download the Marriott Rewards mobile app (if applicable) for opportunities for mobile check-in and bonus rewards.
Please note: As part of our “green” initiatives, OLC is no longer using paper forms for session evaluations. Please use the OLC Conference mobile app or website to evaluate each session by clicking on “Evaluate Session” within each session listing.
Each session evaluation you complete (limited to one per session) using the mobile app will be one entry into our contest. There will be five $25 gift cards awarded to individuals who complete session evaluations using the mobile app.
Create Your Personal Schedule
Add and remove sessions from the Program/Sessions listing on the website or in the mobile app to create a list of sessions you want to attend! Access your personalized list of sessions from the “My Schedule” tab on the Program page.
You must log into your OLC user account in order to access this scheduling feature. As long as you are logged in, your selections should sync across devices.
Activate Your Access to Conference Materials
Ensure you have access to all the uploaded session materials and streamed session recordings.
- Log into your OLC website user account, then click the “Activate” button below to access session materials and streams.
- Select “Program” or “Streamed Sessions” from the “Activate” landing page. “Program” will direct you to the full program; “Streamed Sessions” will direct you to only those sessions that are being streamed.
- Click on the desired session title to view session details.
- You will find an orange “Watch This Session” button in the top right of the page of each session that is being streamed. If the session is not being streamed, there will not be a “Watch” button.
- Presenter-provided session materials (if available) can be downloaded by clicking on the orange “Session Materials” button. If there is no button, the presenter has not yet uploaded their materials.
Note: You must be logged in to your OLC user account to view the “Watch This Session” button on the streamed sessions.
A step-by-step procedure of how to access and view the streamed session recordings may be found on our FAQ page (in the Virtual Conference FAQ section).
For easier access to the streaming program as well as crowd-sourced tips for enjoying the streaming portion of the conference, visit the new Virtual Hub page.
It’s spring in the South, which means sunshine and occasional rain storms. Expect weather in Nashville to be highs in the upper 60’s to low 70s, and variable overnight lows. We recommend you bring an umbrella or raincoat if you might venture outside of the resort and a sweater or jacket for air-conditioned conference rooms.
Whether you are driving or flying to Nashville, view your transportation options on the Travel Page. Attendees driving in for the day can ask us at the conference registration desk for a $5 off coupon for the Gaylord Opryland self-park lot. The coupon is good for single-day parking only and must be picked up at the conference registration desk. Supplies are limited; first-come, first-served.
Wonder which colleagues are attending the conference? Download the onsite attendee list (.pdf). Login required as an additional step to protect your information.
Please note: those attendees who opted-out of providing their contact information during the registration process are not included on this list. This list is for attendee networking only. Sharing the attendee list with any person, company, or institution outside of registered conference attendees is strictly prohibited.
Pre-conference Workshop Preparation
Tuesday OLC pre-conference workshops are available to conference attendees at an additional fee. For any workshop you plan to attend, be sure to click on your workshop session listing on the Program page. Look at the orange Session Materials button (in the upper right of the page) for possible handouts posted by your workshop presenter (must be logged into your OLC user account and have clicked on “Activate” above to access these uploads) and specific instructions (example: download a certain app to your mobile device) that may be posted in the session description. You will want to download and print any worksheets or handouts for that workshop and bring those with you. Workshop presenters will have a very limited number of copies on hand, and we are unable to print copies for you onsite.
Wednesday AM Workshop Preparation
Wednesday conference workshops are included in your conference registration. For any workshop you plan to attend, be sure to click on your workshop session listing on the Program page. Look at the orange Session Materials button (in the upper right of the page) for possible handouts posted by your workshop presenter (must be logged into your OLC user account and have clicked on “Activate” above to access these uploads) and specific instructions (example: download a certain app to your mobile device) that may be posted in the session description. You will want to download and print any worksheets or handouts for that workshop and bring those with you. Workshop presenters will have a very limited number of copies on hand, and we are unable to print copies for you onsite.
Be Where the Action is…in the Innovation Lab
Introducing…. the #OLCInnovationLab, located in the Ryman Exhibit Hall. Join us for Innovation Lab sessions throughout the conference and participate in the Whose Design is it Anyway? challenge. Hear from the experts, download the apps, play with some fun gadgets, and spend time innovating with our “lab technicians”!
Evening Campfire Gatherings
Join us each evening (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday; 9-10pm, Delta Pavilion) for Evening Campfire Gatherings. After the days events (and with ample time for you to go grab dinner first), we will be hosting themed get-togethers as a venue to meet with friends, start up new collaborations, or just unwind from a day packed with innovative ideas.
- Tuesday Night: Crafting and Making. We’ll also have the supplies to make swaps as part of our new Swap + Meet initiative.
- Wednesday Night: Gaming
- Thursday Night: IDEA Night: Inclusion, Diversity, Equity & Advocacy ($20 donation for this dessert reception will go toward the OLC Women in Digital Learning Leadership scholarship fund. Add a ticket to your registration.)
Wednesday Morning Opryland Discovery Walk
Join the Diversity and Inclusion committee for an informal Opryland Discovery Walk on Wednesday at 9am. We will meet in the Innovation Lab and then proceed from there moving at a casual pace through the rest of the OLC Innovate conference space to help you acclimate and learn where to go to get the most out of your experience. This is open to all attendees, and accommodations for persons with disabilities will be honored wherever possible.
The Diversity and Inclusion committee members will be holding un-office hours in the Innovation Lab throughout the conference, and organizing an informal accessibility dinner Thursday at 7pm – sign up if interested in attending.
Wednesday Welcome Lunch
Join your fellow attendees for a networking lunch to kick off the OLC/MERLOT Innovate 2018 conference! Enjoy this opportunity to network with and meet fellow attendees prior to the start of regular conference programming. Note: All attendees are asked to RSVP for luncheon during the registration process (so that we have a proper head-count). There is no additional fee; lunch is included in your conference registration. However, you must have a ticket for the luncheon via the RSVP submitted during the registration process.
Ranger Program and Ranger Kickoff Lunch
The OLC Innovate Ranger program is designed to enhance the conference experience for first-time conference attendees and anyone looking for additional networking opportunities at OLC conferences. Join the Ranger program as a ranger or as a participant by visiting the ranger station in the exhibit hall. If you are a Ranger Program participant or leader, you will attend a special Ranger Program Kick-Off lunch instead of the Welcome Lunch. Join the Ranger program leaders and OLC Staff at the Ranger program lunch at 12pm in Hermitage D (Magnolia Mezzanine Level).
Thursday Morning Blended Learning Networking Break
Join us for blended smoothie drinks at Thursday morning’s networking break (10:30am – 11:15am, Ryman Hall B1-B3) as we highlight Blended Learning at OLC Innovate.
Attend the Thursday Awards Luncheon
OLC invites you to join us for our annual Awards Luncheon. The luncheon takes place Thursday, April 19 at 12:00pm in Tennessee Ballroom. Tickets will be available for purchase at the registration desk; $30 attendees, $65 guests. Be there for a great meal, help us recognize excellence in online learning, and enjoy some networking time with your peers.
Star Search and Closing Event
We are a community that strives to find and promote new voices who are contributing to the field in new ways. Star Search at OLC Innovate is our attempt to craft an innovative, emergent presence at the conference this year. And we need your help! If you have an inspiring colleague, friend or mentor that you’d like to see sharing their message, let us know. If YOU have brilliant ideas, we want to hear them. Celebrate the findings with us at the Closing Ceremony on Friday, April 20 at 12:00pm in Tennessee Lobby A and cheer on the new ideas and voices that’ll be championed in a closing lightning talk.
Additional Items of Note
- Throughout the conference, stop by the Swap + Meet area, the Blogger Bar tables, and the Innovation Installation in the Ryman Hall B1-B3 exhibit hall, each offering opportunities for networking and reflection.
- A lactation room for nursing mothers attending the conference is available. Please inquire at the registration desk.
- Focus groups will be conducted throughout the conference. If you received an invitation, consider accepting it. Most attendees find they leave a focus group energized and with many relevant take-aways from the session. These are primarily invitation only events with limited capacity, so RSVP right away if interested.
- Session types: Part of reinvigorating the conference is trying out a variety of session types. Notice that rather than all standard presenter-with-PowerPoint led Education presentations, you will find our steering committee has developed a wide-array of interactive sessions. These include Conversations, Not Presentations; Career Forums; Innovation Lab Sessions; Emerging Ideas Sessions; and Industry Showcase Sessions. Refer to the mobile app, website, or printed program for details. Come try something new and different! We will welcome your feedback on these formats in our post-conference survey.
- Don’t forget to visit the exhibitors and enter to win some fabulous Sponsor and Exhibitor Booth Raffle prizes. Visit our Special Events page, participate in our social networking contest, OLC Booth drawing, Step Challenge, and our Exhibitor stamp card contest – win an iPad Wifi 32GB and other prizes!
- Attendees are encouraged to bring their laptops and mobile devices to sessions, as many presentations are interactive sessions. There are power stations located in the Ryman Exhibit Hall where devices may be recharged as needed.
- Info kiosks are strategically located throughout the conference space where you may access the OLC website and OLC Innovate program.
- Complimentary wireless internet connection for conference attendees is available in the public and meeting space of the hotel. Those guests who booked their hotel through our conference website will also receive complimentary internet in their guest room.
- The hotel is sold out – if you plan on dining within the resort, we recommend you make advance dining reservations.