Pre-conference Update | Tuesday Update | Wednesday Update | Thursday Update | Friday Update
DAILY UPDATE for Wednesday, November 20
IMPORTANT UPDATES for our Conference Attendees
Conference Registration Desk – Convention Foyer (WDW Dolphin)
Wednesday, November 20: 7:30am – 5:00pm
Wireless Internet Access for Conference Space
Remember Your Water Bottle
OLC is committed to being green where possible. We will have water stations available throughout the conference space and during the breaks in lieu of providing bottled water. Bring your own water bottle or use a glass provided. If you are a guest staying at the Swan or Dolphin, the 2 bottles of water in your room each day are complimentary. Be sure to take advantage of those bottles of water as well!
Join us for Yoga with Janet, Functional Fitness with Jesse, or Meditation with Clark, fellow conference attendees and certified instructors.
6:30am – 7:30am
Slow Flow Yoga*
|7:45am – 8:15am||Europe 2||Meditation & Mindfulness***|
* Slow Flow Yoga – Ready to start the day energized? Join us for a 1 hour Slow Flow yoga class with Janet, a fellow conference attendee and certified yoga instructor. Slow Flow yoga is made up of slow flow (three breaths per posture) including sun and/or moon salutations. Comfy clothes needed; bring your water bottle. We will provide towels to use if you don’t have a yoga mat with you.
** Functional Fitness – Looking to infuse high intensity and functional fitness movements into the start of your conference day? Join Jesse Pagel, CrossFit Level 1 coach, for a 1-hour morning workout! Scaling and modifications are available to accommodate all fitness levels. Please wear workout clothing and workout shoes. Be sure to bring a water bottle and come ready to move! Attendees will be asked to sign a waiver before participating.
***Meditation & Mindfulness – Join us in the Sanctuary for some quiet time to decompress, reconnect mind and body, and practice some self-care as we turn our focus inward for a short while.
Note: Attendees participate in classes at their own risk. In the unlikely event of injury, please note that OLC and the WDW Swan & Dolphin Resort may not be held liable.
9:00am-12:00pm – Wednesday Morning Workshops and Summits
Wednesday morning workshops and summits begin at 9:00am. Attendance for these workshops is included in your OLC Accelerate conference registration (unless otherwise noted). Breakfast will be available in the Northern and Southern Hemisphere Foyers. Please grab your breakfast and proceed to your workshop or summit room with your plate to enjoy breakfast and networking with colleagues before your session begins.
BYOD! Don’t forget to bring your own device (laptop, tablet, smart phone) for today’s workshop sessions.
Breakfast is available daily (Wed-Fri) for attendees; see the printed program daily schedule for location. Coffee is always available in the exhibit hall during exhibit hours, and soft drinks/snacks are served during networking breaks and at receptions and evening events. Lunch and dinner are on your own. A limited menu of salads, sandwiches, snacks, and beverages will be available for purchase at the Lunch Marketplace in the Exhibit Hall on Wednesday and Thursday. Enjoy dinner at one of the many onsite or nearby eateries. Hoping to find a peer to dine with in Orlando? Feel free to use the Message Board to connect with other attendees for dining plans. We also encourage you to use our #olcdiningbuddies hashtag to connect with other conference attendees looking to make lunch and dinner plans.
Field Guide Events
- 8:00am – 8:45am, Asia 3: “Power Hour” to help develop your conference schedule and activities for the week. Breakfast will be served.
- 9:00am – 9:45am, depart from Field Guide Station (Convention Foyer): Talk-about
- 10:00am – 10:45am, depart from Field Guide Station: Tour of the conference space
- 11:00am – 11:45am, depart from Field Guide Station: Field Guide group visit to the exhibit hall, Technology Test Kitchen, and Speed Networking Lounge
- 12:00pm – 1:15pm, Northern Hemisphere C: Field Guide Program Kick-off Lunch (pre-registration and ticket required)
4:45pm-5:45pm – Wednesday Keynote with Talithia Williams – USING DATA-INFORMED DECISIONS TO DRIVE STUDENT SUCCESS IN HIGHER EDUCATION AND ONLINE LEARNING
Following the final concurrent session of the day, join us at 4:45pm in Pacific Hall for our opening keynote with Dr. Talithia Williams, Associate Professor of Mathematics at Harvey Mudd College and popular TED Talk speaker.
Today’s Featured Sessions
- 1:15pm – 2:00pm – How We Got Here: The Evolution Of OLC And Why It Matters, Southern Hemisphere 2
- 2:15pm – 3:00pm – Personalized Learning At Scale: Using Adaptive Tools & Digital Assistants, Southern Hemisphere 1
- 2:15pm – 3:00pm – Online Education’s Next Twenty-Five Years: Will The Academy Lose Its Sense Of Purpose?, Southern Hemisphere 2
- 3:45pm – 4:30pm – It All Worked…Except When It Didn’t: Building A Data-Driven Faculty Culture, Southern Hemisphere 2
- 1:15pm – 2:00pm – Show It Off! Showcase Your Artificial Intelligence, Southern Hemisphere 1 (Teaching and Learning Effectiveness)
- 3:45pm – 4:30pm – Mining For Achievement Using Student Performance And End-Of Course Data: A Multicovariate Analysis Of 60,000 Online Courses, Southern Hemisphere 1 (Research)
Wednesday OLC Live!:
- 11:00am – 12:00pm – Space Station Salon with Adam Croom and Ben Scragg
- 3:00pm – 3:45pm – Virtual Speed Networking Lounge with Sarah Clark
- 3:45pm – 4:45pm – Intergalactic Design Battle
Wednesday Special Events
- 9:00am – 9:45am – Talk-About (Wed), Meet in the Convention Foyer
- 10:00am – 10:45am – Tour Of The WDW Swan & Dolphin Resort And Convention Center (Wed AM), Meet in the Convention Foyer
- 3:00pm – 3:45pm – OLC Institute For Professional Development Meet-Up, Asia 3
- 3:00pm – 3:45pm – IDEA (Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, And Advocacy) Drop-In (Wed PM), Speed Networking Lounge
- 3:00pm – 3:45pm – Speed Networking Lounge – Networking Break: Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, And Advocacy (IDEA), Speed Networking Lounge
- Today’s National Titanium and Diamond level Sponsor special presentations, located in the Europe 3:
- 5:00pm – 7:00pm – Welcome Reception – Immediately following the Keynote address, meet with our exhibitors and sponsors and join fellow conference attendees for networking during the OLC Accelerate Welcome Reception. Refreshments will be served; don’t forget your complimentary drink ticket.
- Take a look at our Special Events and Sponsorships page for information on event and contests/prizes.
Additional Items of Note
- WiFi is complimentary in WDW Swan and Dolphin guest rooms for those who booked rooms through the OLC travel page. WiFi is also complimentary in all conference meeting space. Meeting space WiFi log-in and password information: SSID: olc Password: olcwireless
- The exhibit hall opens at 10:00am today (Atlantic Hall).
- OLC Accelerate Mission Passport encourages you to complete challenges with the Field Guides, the Speed Networking Lounge, and the Technology Test Kitchen to be eligible for prizes. Raffle entries should be deposited into the raffle boxes a the Field Guide Station by 3pm Thursday.
- Visit our Special Events page and learn about our contests, including an OLC booth (#225) raffle, sponsor and exhibitor booth raffles, a social networking contest, and our Exhibitor stamp card contest – win an iPad Air 32GB and other prizes! All stamp card entries entries should be turned in to the OLC Booth (#225) by 3pm Thursday.
- Bring your own device (laptop, tablet, smart phone) and visit the Technology Test Kitchen (located in Atlantic Exhibit Hall) to interact with emerging technology, connect challenges to innovative practices through hands-on experimentation, and document your ideas in a virtual recipe book. “Chefs” will be on hand to work with you! #OLCTTK
Don’t Forget to Download the updated OLC Conference Mobile App
Available now in the Apple iTunes store for iPhone and iPad
Available now in the Google Play store for Android
We are continuously improving our app. This version lets you share your schedule between devices using a unique Schedule ID.
Please note: As part of our “green” initiatives, OLC is no longer using paper forms for session evaluations. Please use the OLC Conference mobile app or website to evaluate each session by clicking on “Evaluate Session” within each session listing.
Each session evaluation you complete (limited to one per session) using the mobile app will be one entry into our contest. There will be five $25 gift cards awarded to individuals who complete session evaluations using the mobile app.
Presenters who receive 10 or more evaluations will be entered into a post-conference prize drawing for a $25 OLC gift card.
Create Your Personal Schedule
Add and remove sessions from the Program/Sessions listing on the website or in the mobile app to create a list of sessions you want to attend! Access your personalized list of sessions from the “My Schedule” tab on the Program page.
You can share your schedule between devices using a unique Schedule ID.
Activate Your Access to Conference Materials
Ensure you have access to all the uploaded session materials and streamed session recordings.
- Log in to your OLC website user account, then click the “Activate” button below to access session materials and streams.
- Select “Program” or “Streamed Sessions” from the “Activate” landing page. “Program” will direct you to the full program; “Streamed Sessions” will direct you to only those sessions that are being streamed.
- Click on the desired session title to view session details.
- You will find an orange “Watch This Session” button in the top right of the page of each session that is being streamed. If the session is not being streamed, there will not be a “Watch” button.
- Presenter-provided session materials (if available) can be downloaded by clicking on the orange “Session Materials” button. If there is no button, the presenter has not yet uploaded their materials.
Note: You must be logged in to your OLC user account to view the “Watch This Session” button on the streamed sessions.
A step-by-step procedure of how to access and view the streamed session recordings may be found on our FAQ page (in the Virtual Conference FAQ section).
For easier access to the streaming program as well as crowd-sourced tips for enjoying the streaming portion of the conference, visit the new Virtual Hub page.