Welcome to OLC Innovate 2019!
OLC looks forward to welcoming you to Denver next week for OLC Innovate 2019. We hope you enjoy the conference, particularly the HBCU Summit, the Community College Summit, the Innovation Studio featuring the Great Denver Design Off challenge and a Friday “Escape Room“, our Evening Campfire Gatherings including Tuesday night Game Night and Wednesday Night: IDEA (Inclusion, Diversity, Equity & Advocacy) Celebration and Costume Party; and our OLC contests. Be sure to visit the OLC Ranger Station in the registration foyer and new Speed Networking Lounge in the exhibit hall on Wednesday and Thursday.
Follow us on social media @OLCToday and use #OLCInnovate when you post photos and commentary to social media.
IMPORTANT UPDATES for our Conference Attendees
Please be sure to read through all of the updates below in order to be fully informed and prepared for next week’s events.
Conference Registration Desk – Aurora Registration
Tuesday, April 2:
3:00pm – 7:00pm
Wednesday, April 3:
7:00am – 5:00pm
Thursday, April 4:
7:00am – 5:00pm
Friday, April 5:
7:30am – 12:00pm
WiFi is complimentary in Gaylord Rockies guest rooms for those who booked rooms through the OLC travel page.
Download the updated OLC Conference Mobile App
Available now in the Apple iTunes store for iPhone and iPad
Available now in the Google Play store for Android
We are continuously improving our app. This new version has some improvements and bug fixes. Please log in using your OLC user account to use features such as creating your custom schedule.
Please note: As part of our “green” initiatives, OLC is no longer using paper forms for session evaluations. Please use the OLC Conference mobile app or website to evaluate each session by clicking on “Evaluate Session” within each session listing.
Each session evaluation you complete (limited to one per session) using the mobile app will be one entry into our contest. There will be five $25 gift cards awarded to individuals who complete session evaluations using the mobile app.
Presenters who receive 10 or more evaluations will be entered into a post-conference prize drawing for a $25 OLC gift card.
Create Your Personal Schedule
Add and remove sessions from the Program/Sessions listing on the website or in the mobile app to create a list of sessions you want to attend! Access your personalized list of sessions from the “My Schedule” tab on the Program page.
You must log in to your OLC user account in order to access this scheduling feature. As long as you are logged in, your selections should sync across devices.
Activate Your Access to Conference Materials
Ensure you have access to all the uploaded session materials and streamed session recordings.
- Log in to your OLC website user account, then click the “Activate” button below to access session materials and streams.
- Select “Program” or “Streamed Sessions” from the “Activate” landing page. “Program” will direct you to the full program; “Streamed Sessions” will direct you to only those sessions that are being streamed.
- Click on the desired session title to view session details.
- You will find an orange “Watch This Session” button in the top right of the page of each session that is being streamed. If the session is not being streamed, there will not be a “Watch” button.
- Presenter-provided session materials (if available) can be downloaded by clicking on the orange “Session Materials” button. If there is no button, the presenter has not yet uploaded their materials.
Note: You must be logged in to your OLC user account to view the “Watch This Session” button on the streamed sessions.
A step-by-step procedure of how to access and view the streamed session recordings may be found on our FAQ page (in the Virtual Conference FAQ section).
For easier access to the streaming program as well as crowd-sourced tips for enjoying the streaming portion of the conference, visit the new Virtual Hub page.
It’s early spring in Colorado, which means average daily highs around 60 degrees and average nightly lows in the 30s. Don’t forget a sweater or jacket for air-conditioned conference rooms and our daily Talk-abouts (to enjoy the beautiful mountain views).
Whether you are driving or flying to Denver, view your transportation options on the Travel Page. Note that parking at the Gaylord Rockies is:
- Self-Parking: $29.00, inclusive of tax
- Overnight Valet Parking: $39.00, inclusive of tax
Wonder which colleagues are attending the conference? Download the onsite attendee list (.pdf). Login required as an additional step to protect your information.
Please note: those attendees who opted-out of providing their contact information during the registration process are not included on this list. This list is for attendee networking only. Sharing the attendee list with any person, company, or institution outside of registered conference attendees is strictly prohibited.
Pre-conference Workshop and Wednesday AM Workshop and Summit Preparation
Tuesday OLC pre-conference workshops are available to conference attendees at an additional fee. Wednesday AM workshops and summits are included in your conference registration this year. For any workshop or summit you plan to attend, be sure to click on your workshop session listing on the Program page. Look at the orange Session Materials button (in the upper right of the page) for possible handouts posted by your workshop presenter (must be logged into your OLC user account and have clicked on “Activate” above to access these uploads) and specific instructions (example: download a certain app to your mobile device) that may be posted in the session description. You will want to download and print any worksheets or handouts for that workshop and bring those with you. Workshop presenters will have a very limited number of copies on hand, and we are unable to print copies for you onsite. All workshop and summit participants should bring their own laptop or device to the session.
Attend the Tuesday Awards Reception
OLC and MERLOT invite you to join us for our annual Awards and Leadership Ceremony and reception. The ceremony and reception this year takes place Tuesday, April 2, 4:15pm – 7:00pm in Juniper A/B. A limited number of tickets will be available for purchase at the door $40. Join us for a special evening ceremony and reception as we honor OLC and MERLOT Award Winners and other leaders immersed in the higher education digital landscape. Best-in-Track Awards, Effective Practice Awards, and MERLOT Awards will be presented. The OLC Leadership Network Event attendees will also be recognized. Congratulations to all of our award winners!
Tuesday Exhibit Hall Preview – open to everyone
Check in to the conference early during our Tuesday evening early registration hours 3-7pm; Aurora Registration), then join our exhibitors in the Aurora Ballroom Exhibit Hall for a special preview event. A complimentary drink ticket and snacks will be provided to all attendees checking in to the conference at early registration. Stop by the Innovation Studio to see what they are creating during the conference, plus get an early start on your exhibitor stamp card for some fabulous prizes! Don’t forget to visit the exhibitors and enter to win some fabulous Sponsor and Exhibitor Booth Raffle prizes. Visit our Special Events page and learn about our contests, including an OLC booth (#600) trivia contest, a social networking contest, and our Exhibitor stamp card contest – win an iPad Air 32GB and other prizes!
Be Where the Action is…in the Innovation Studio and in the Speed Networking Lounge
Located in the Aurora Ballroom Exhibit Hall, the Innovation Studio and the Speed Networking Lounge are both open throughout the conference. In the Innovation Studio, participate in sessions and demos, visit the design stations, participate in the Great Denver Design Off, and try your problem solving skills in the Escape Room event on Friday. Meanwhile, on the other side of the exhibit hall, visit the Speed Networking Lounge for special treats (available during networking breaks), complete networking activities to win sweet prizes, and create new connections with like-minded folks over puzzles and games.
Evening Campfire Gatherings
Join us at the Gaylord Rockies each evening (Tuesday, Wednesday; 9-10pm) for Campfire Gatherings. After the days events (and with ample time for you to go grab dinner first), we will be hosting themed get-togethers as a venue to meet with friends, start up new collaborations, or just unwind from a day packed with innovative ideas.
- Tuesday Night: Game Night
- Wednesday Night: IDEA (Inclusion, Diversity, Equity & Advocacy) Celebration and Costume Party
We’re celebrating Inclusion, Diversity, Equity & Advocacy at this special event featuring music, dancing, and a costume competition. Bring your colleagues to enjoy a fun evening and to support advocacy for equity in our field. There will be prizes awarded for wittiest t-shirt, best costume of a historical woman, best just-in-time costume (made at the event), and best group costume. There is a $35 required donation to attend the celebration, which includes one drink ticket and a dessert reception. The ticket fees collected will go towards the OLC IDEA Leadership in Digital Learning scholarship fund. This event is open to participants of any gender and role – if you are a champion of diversity and inclusion within digital learning leadership, and want to participate in a gathering for a good cause, please accept our warm welcome to attend.
- Thursday Night: Night in Denver (note: this is an off-site gathering)
Join us each day for Yoga and/or Meditation
Yoga Style or Meditation
12:15pm – 12:45pm
6:30am – 7:30am
|Spruce 1||Slow Flow Yoga*|
7:30am – 8:00am
|Thursday, 4/4||6:30am – 7:30am
||Spruce 1||Slow Flow Yoga*|
|Thursday, 4/4||7:30am – 8:00am
12:00pm – 12:30pm
3:00pm – 3:30pm
|Friday, 4/5||6:30am – 7:30am
||Spruce 1||Slow Flow Yoga*|
|Friday, 4/5||7:30am – 8:00am||Mitzner Boardroom||Meditation**|
*Ready to start the day energized? Join us each morning for a 1 hour Slow Flow yoga class with Janet Smith, a fellow conference attendee and certified yoga instructor. Slow Flow yoga is made up of slow flow (three breaths per posture) including sun and/or moon salutations. Yoga mat (we will have towels on hand if you don’t have one), comfy clothes, and water bottle needed.
**Join us in the Serenity Lodge for some quiet time to decompress, reconnect mind and body, and practice some self-care as we turn our focus inward for a short while. Mindfulness, has been defined as a practice of “bringing one’s attention to the internal and external experiences occurring in the present moment” (Baer, 2003). Join Clark Shah-Nelson for some guided mindful meditations. These sessions will be geared toward centering ourselves on higher levels of consciousness so that we can experience OLC Innovate in a healthy and present way together. Baer, R. A. (2003). Mindfulness training as a clinical intervention: A conceptual and empirical review. Clinical psychology: Science and practice, 10(2), 125-143.
Note: Attendees participate in yoga and meditation classes at their own risk. In the unlikely event of injury, please note that OLC and the Gaylord Rockies Resort & Convention Center may not be held liable.
Additional Items of Note
- Sign up to participate in the Innovation Studio’s “Great Denver Design Off” or reserve your spot for Friday morning’s “Escape Room” event.
- Looking for a little sunshine and a fun way to meet new people? Join our OLC Rangers for our new Talk-about daily sessions.
- Everyone needs a break and time to decompress when at a large conference. Take advantage of the opportunities to unplug and refocus. “The Serenity Lodge” room is a quiet, reflective space – Mitzner Boardroom – available for all conference attendees to use. This is a quiet space room. No cell phone conversations allowed. Please keep face-to-face conversation to a minimum or at a very low level so as not to disturb others in the room.
OLC Rangers will also host tours of the Gaylord Rockies Resort and Convention Center on Tuesday evening and Wednesday morning. Join us to familiarize yourself with the conference center layout to ensure your conference experience is off to a great start! No advance sign-up needed; just meet your Ranger tour guide at the Ranger Station (Aurora Foyer) near conference registration.
- Tuesday, April 2 6pm
- Wednesday, April 3 10am
- Session types: Part of reinvigorating the conference is trying out a variety of session types. Notice that rather than all standard presenter-with-PowerPoint led Education presentations, you will find our steering committee has developed a wide-array of interactive sessions. These include Educate & Reflect Sessions; Conversations, Not Presentations; Career Forums; Innovation Studio Sessions; Emerging Ideas Sessions; and Industry Showcase Sessions. Refer to the mobile app, website, or printed program for details. Come try something new and different! We will welcome your feedback on these formats in our post-conference survey.
- Don’t forget to visit the exhibitors and enter to win some fabulous Sponsor and Exhibitor Booth Raffle prizes. Visit our Special Events page, participate in our social networking contest, OLC Booth drawing, and our Exhibitor stamp card contest – win an iPad Air 32GB and other prizes!
- There are power stations located in the Exhibit Hall where devices may be recharged as needed. Attendees are encouraged to bring their laptops and mobile devices to sessions, as many presentations are interactive sessions.
- Info kiosks are strategically located throughout the conference space where you may access the OLC website and conference program.
- Complimentary wireless internet connection for conference attendees is available in the public and meeting space of the hotel. Those guests who booked their hotel through our conference website will also receive complimentary internet in their guest room.