Welcome to OLC Innovate 2017!
Welcome to New Orleans! We hope you enjoy the conference, particularly 2017’s new features including the HBCU Summit, the Community College Summit, a new location and set-up for our Innovation Installation, and the Innovation Lab “Whose Design is it Anyway” competition. Follow us on social media @OLCToday and use #OLCInnovate when you post photos and commentary to social media.
IMPORTANT UPDATES for our Conference Attendees
Please be sure to read through all of the updates below in order to be fully informed and prepared for next week’s events.
Conference Registration Desk – Napoleon Foyer (Sheraton New Orleans)
Tuesday, April 4:
5:00pm – 7:00pm
Wednesday, April 5:
7:00am – 6:00pm
Thursday, April 6:
7:00am – 5:30pm
Friday, April 7:
7:30am – 12:00pm
Wireless Internet Access for Conference Space
Download the updated OLC Conference Mobile App
Available now in the Apple iTunes store for iPhone and iPad
Available now in the Google Play store for Android
We are continuously improving our app. This new version includes improved search functions, performance enhancements, and is now part of our improved single sign-on user experience. Please log in using your primary OLC website user account.
Please note: As part of our “green” initiatives, OLC is no longer using paper forms for session evaluations. Please use the OLC Conference mobile app or website to evaluate each session by clicking on “Evaluate Session” within each session listing.
Each session evaluation you complete (limited to one per session) using the mobile app will be one entry into our contest. There will be five $25 gift cards awarded to five individuals who complete session evaluations using the mobile app.
Create Your Personal Schedule
Add and remove sessions from the Program/Sessions listing on the website or in the mobile app to create a list of sessions you want to attend! Access your personalized list of sessions from the “My Schedule” tab on the Program page.
You must log into your OLC user account in order to access this scheduling feature. As long as you are logged in, your selections should sync across devices.
Activate Your Access to Conference Materials
Ensure you have access to all the uploaded session materials and streamed session recordings.
- Log into your OLC website user account, then click the “Activate” button below to access session materials and streams.
- Select “Program” or “Streamed Sessions” from the “Activate” landing page. “Program” will direct you to the full program; “Streamed Sessions” will direct you to only those sessions that are being streamed.
- Click on the desired session title to view session details.
- You will find an orange “Watch This Session” button in the top right of the page of each session that is being streamed. If the session is not being streamed, there will not be a “Watch” button.
- Presenter-provided session materials (if available) can be downloaded by clicking on the orange “Session Materials” button. If there is no button, the presenter has not yet uploaded their materials.
Note: You must be logged in to your OLC user account to view the “Watch This Session” button on the streamed sessions.
A step-by-step procedure of how to access and view the streamed session recordings may be found on our FAQ page (in the Virtual Conference FAQ section).
For easier access to the streaming program as well as crowd-sourced tips for enjoying the streaming portion of the conference, visit the new Virtual Lounge page.
It’s spring in the South, which means sunshine and occasional rain storms. Expect weather in New Orleans to be highs around 80, and lows in the 60s. We recommend you bring an umbrella or poncho for exploring the city. Don’t forget a sweater or jacket for air-conditioned conference rooms.
Whether you are driving or flying to New Orleans, view your transportation options on the Travel Page. Parking at the hotel is valet only. There is no self-parking. Attendees staying at the hotel will receive a 20% discount off the valet rate of $43/day. Daily drive in attendees may wish to park at one of the nearby public parking options.
Wonder which colleagues are attending the conference? Download the onsite attendee list (.pdf). Login required as an additional step to protect your information.
Please note: those attendees who opted-out of providing their contact information during the registration process are not included on this list. This list is for attendee networking only. Sharing the attendee list with any person, company, or institution outside of registered conference attendees is strictly prohibited.
Tuesday OLC pre-conference workshops are available to Innovate conference attendees at an additional fee. For any workshop you plan to attend – including Wednesday workshops which are included in your registration fee – be sure to click on your workshop session listing on the Program page. Look at the orange Session Materials button (in the upper right of the page) for possible handouts posted by your workshop presenter (must be logged into your OLC user account and have clicked on “Activate” above to access these uploads) and specific instructions (example: download a certain app to your mobile device) that may be posted in the session description. You will want to download and print any worksheets or handouts for that workshop and bring those with you. Workshop presenters will have a very limited number of copies on hand, and we are unable to print copies for you onsite.
Be Where the Action is…in the Innovation Lab
Introducing…. the #OLCInnovationLab, located in the Napoleon Exhibit Hall. Join us for Innovation Lab sessions throughout the conference – participate in featured live demos, presentations, makerspaces, “Whose Design is it Anyway” competitions, and more. Hear from the experts, download the apps, play with some fun gadgets, and spend time innovating with our “chefs”! View the full schedule here.
Attend the Thursday Awards Luncheon
OLC invites you to join us for our annual Awards Luncheon. The luncheon takes place Thursday, April 6 at 12:00pm in the Grand Ballroom. Tickets will be available for purchase at the registration desk; $27 attendees, $65 guests. Be there for a great meal, help us recognize excellence in online learning, and enjoy some networking time with your peers.
Make Dinner Reservations for Wednesday and Thursday Evening
Additional Items of Note
- Are you doing an environmental scan and picking up more and more references or mentions of virtual and augmented reality (VR, AR), mixed reality, artificial intelligence (AI), gamification and simulations? Read about the mixed reality sessions at OLC Innovate 2017! Learn more.
- The conference will feature several opportunities for virtual and onsite attendees to interact with each other via Kubis (remote controlled interactive videoconference robots). The Kubis will allow participants to converse with on-site and other virtual participants throughout the conference. We’ll have Kubis in all streaming “Conversations That Work” sessions and at several other locations around the conference: The Innovation Lab, PlugIN Lounge, OLC booth, Exhibit Hall and more. You can drop-in, take a look around, and converse with anyone who happens to be in the vicinity. Want to try it out before the conference? Join Clark Shah-Nelson (#OLCInnovate Engagement Committee) and Marcus Rosenthal (Revolve Robotics) for a free and open pre-conference Kubi demonstration and live videoconference on Thursday, 3/30/17 from 3-4 p.m. EDT.
- Focus groups will be conducted throughout the conference. If you received an invitation, consider accepting it. Most attendees find they leave a focus group energized and with many relevant take-aways from the session. These are primarily invitation only events with limited capacity, so RSVP right away if interested.
- Interactive session types! Part of reinvigorating the conference is trying out a variety of new session types. Notice that rather than all standard presenter-with-PowerPoint led Education presentations, you will find our steering committee has developed a wide-array of interactive sessions. These include Workshops, Research Highlights and Trends in Innovation, Conversations that Work, Career Forum Roundtables, and Whose Design is it Anyway competitions. Refer to the mobile app, website, or printed program for details. Come try something new and different! We will welcome your feedback on these updated formats in our post-conference survey.
- Don’t forget to visit the exhibitors and enter to win some fabulous Sponsor and Exhibitor Booth Raffle prizes. Visit our Special Events page, participate in our social networking contest, OLC Booth drawing, and our Exhibitor stamp card contest – win an iPad Air 2 32GB and other prizes!
- Attendees are encouraged to bring their laptops and mobile devices to sessions, as many presentations are interactive sessions. There are power stations located in the Napoleon Hall Exhibit Hall where devices may be recharged as needed.
- Info kiosks are strategically located throughout the conference space where you may access the OLC website and OLC Innovate program.
- Complimentary wireless internet connection for conference attendees is available in the public and meeting space of the hotel. Those guests who booked their hotel through our conference website will also receive complimentary internet in their guest room.