DAILY UPDATE for Thursday, April 6
IMPORTANT UPDATES for our Conference Attendees
Conference Registration Desk – Napoleon Foyer (Sheraton New Orleans)
Thursday, April 6: 7:00am – 5:30pm
Wireless Internet Access for Conference Space
Start your morning right with the OLC/MERLOT Community Breakfast
Fun, Fun, Fun…You’re invited! While munching on your favorite breakfast foods, get to know your colleagues, learn ways to get more deeply engaged with the MERLOT & OLC community, and participate in (or get the answers to) MERLOT & OLC trivia questions with a chance to win prizes. 7:45am, Grand Ballroom
Regular concurrent sessions begin at 8:45am today.
Join us for lunch as we honor OLC and MERLOT award winners for significant contributions to knowledge, practice, and innovation in online and blended learning. The OLC Effective Practice Awards and Best-in-Track Awards will be presented, as well as the MERLOT Classics Awards and other MERLOT Awards. Tickets for the awards lunch ($27 onsite) are on sale at the conference registration desk (Napoleon Foyer, 3rd floor). All attendees and guests who wish to attend the OLC/MERLOT Awards Lunch must purchase a ticket. OLC and MERLOT subsidize the additional cost of this plated three-course meal above the ticket fee for registered conference attendees. If you do not plan to attend the Awards Lunch, lunch will be on your own. Guest lunch tickets are $65 onsite.
Thursday Keynote Session “Innovation Education, Educating for Innovation”
Join us at 4:15pm in the Grand Ballroom for our Thursday Keynote with John Kao.
Immediately following the Thursday keynote by John Kao, join OLC Conferences 2017 National Titanium Sponsor ProctorU for a post-keynote Mardi Gras party in the back of the keynote/ general session room (Grand Ballroom, 5th floor). Join Procki the Owl and the staff of ProctorU for drinks (cash bar, so bring your money – no credit cards accepted), snacks, entertainment by the dynamic Kinfolk Brass Band (one of New Orlean’s famous second line bands), and a special rum tasting event by the US’s oldest rum distillery, Old New Orleans Rum.
Stop by ProctorU’s booth (27) in the exhibit Hall (Napoleon Ballroom, 3rd floor) anytime Wednesday or Thursday to pick-up tickets to join in the rum-tasting event. “Owl drink to that!”
Today’s Featured Sessions
- The Digital Compass: An Annual Report (Russell Poulin (WCET), Jill Buban (Online Learning Consortium), Jeff Seaman (Babson Survey Research Group)) – Education Session, 8:45am, Bayside B (4th Floor)
- Graduate Student Emerging Ideas Sessions – Emerging Ideas Sessions, 9:45am, Waterbury (2nd Floor)
- Navigating Quality Course Review In Online And Blended Learning (Jennifer Mathes (Online Learning Consortium)) – Education Session, 11:15am, Rhythms I (2nd Floor)
- Effective Practice Award Emerging Ideas Sessions – Emerging Ideas Sessions, 1:30pm, Waterbury (2nd Floor)
- Conversations On Collaborate: A Summary Of Regional Discussions Held Across The Country (Devon Cancilla (University of Missouri at Kansas City), Leslie Kennedy (California State University-Office of the Chancellor), Gerry Hanley (California State University Office of the Chancellor & MERLOT), Linda S. Futch (University of Central Florida), Karen Pedersen (Online Learning Consortium)) – Conversations that Work, 2:30pm, Grand Chenier (5th Floor)
- Featured Sessions
- Discovering Tons of Learning Objects: Using MERLOT’S New Search Services (Barbra Bied Sperling (California State University Office of Chancellor & MERLOT), Sorel Reisman (California State University Office of the Chancellor)) – Featured Session, Challenging Barriers to Innovation, 8:45pm – 9:30am, Bayside A (4th Floor)
- Student Readiness For OL: How Are You Preparing Your Students To Learn Effectively? (Cheng-Yuan (Corey) Lee (Coastal Carolina University)) – Featured Session, Pedagogical Innovation, 9:45am – 10:30am, Bayside A (4th Floor)
- Virtually Inspired: A Showcase Of Innovations In Online Learning (Susan Aldridge (Drexel University Online), Marci Powell (Drexel University Online)) – Featured Session, Pedagogical Innovation, 11:15am – 12:00pm, Bayside A (4th Floor)
- Me, Myself And Madness: Breaking Outside The Wall (Mark Brown (Dublin City University)) – Featured Session, Structural Innovation, 1:30pm – 2:15pm, Bayside A (4th Floor)
- Online Learning Journal Panel: Meta-Analytic And Related Research In Online Learning (Peter Shea (University at Albany – State University of New York), Jill Buban (Online Learning Consortium), Robert Bernard (Concordia University), Barbara Means (SRI International), Karen Swan (University of Illinois Springfield) – Featured Session, Pedagogical Innovation, 2:30pm – 3:15pm, Bayside A (4th Floor)
- Solution Design Summit – Join the Solution Design Summit Pitch Presentations
- 11:15am – 12:00pm, Rhythms II (2nd Floor)
- 2:30pm – 3:15pm, Rhythms II (2nd Floor)
- Discovering Tons of Learning Objects: Using MERLOT’s New Search Services (Barbra Bied Sperling, California State University Office of Chancellor & MERLOT; Sorel Reisman, California State University Office of the Chancellor) – Challenging Barriers to Innovation, 8:45am – 9:30am, Bayside A (4th Floor)
- Free & Open Educational Resources For HBCUs (Gerry Hanley, California State University Office of the Chancellor & MERLOT; Leslie Kennedy, California State University-Office of the Chancellor) – 9:45am – 10:30am, Rhythms III (2nd Floor)
- MERLOT Classics Award Winners Emerging Ideas Session – Emerging Ideas Sessions, 2:30pm, Waterbury (2nd Floor)
Thursday Special Events
- Innovation Lab Whose Design Is It Anyway? Round 2 will take place on the Innovation Lab (Napoleon Hall) at 10:30am.
- Innovation Lab Whose Design Is It Anyway? Round 3 will take place on the Innovation Lab (Napoleon Hall) at 3:15pm.
- Today’s National Titanium and Diamond level Sponsor special presentations, located in the National Sponsor Presentation Area – Napoleon Hall (located on right side of the Exhibit Hall):
- 8:45am – Canvas – Arc – Video And Student Engagement
- 9:45am – Examity – Test Integrity And Distance Learning: Needs, Trends And Our Discoveries
- 11:15am – Software Secure – Master Class: How To Do An Online Proctoring Rollout, Training, And Adoption Strategies
- 1:30pm – ProctorU – Five Questions You Should Be Asking About Online Proctoring – **Repeat Session**
- 2:30pm – Software Secure – Master Class: How To Do An Online Proctoring Rollout, Training, And Adoption Strategies – **Repeat Session**
Additional Items of Note
- The exhibit hall opens at 8:45am today (Napoleon Hall) and closes at 4:00pm.
- Take a stroll through the Innovation Installation (Lagniappe, 2nd Floor). This year, we are going to look at the present of innovation, mixing the history of the installation with a real-time generation of knowledge through multiple modalities: interviews, panels, social media, artifact creation and other forms of distributed network pedagogy.
- Looking for something different to do during the conference and especially during networking coffee breaks? Don’t forget to visit the exhibitors and enter to win some fabulous Booth Drawing prizes. Visit our Special Events page, stop by the OLC booth (#25) to enter a raffle, enter the social networking contest, and our Exhibitor stamp card contest – win an iPad Air 2 32GB and other prizes!
- New this year, OLC is offering prizes for getting your exhibitor card stamped!
- Pick-up your card at registration, visit each booth to collect a unique stamp, and turn your card in at the OLC booth (#25) no later than 11:15am Friday. Winners will be notified by email and Twitter on Friday.
- One Grand Prize winner will be drawn from those who collect ALL the unique sponsor and exhibitor stamps to win. Grand Prize: iPad Air2 WiFi 32GB.
- Additional prizes will include a variety of gift cards.
- Minimum of 25 stamps must be collected to be eligible for gift cards; full card must be stamped to be eligible for iPad drawing.
- New this year, OLC is offering prizes for getting your exhibitor card stamped!
- Bring your own device (laptop, tablet, smart phone) and visit the Innovation Lab (located in the center of the exhibit hall, Napoleon Hall) to interact with emerging technology, connect challenges to innovative practices through hands-on experimentation, and document your ideas in a virtual lab manual. “Lab Techs” will be on hand to work with you! Don’t miss the featured live demos, presentations, makerspaces, “Whose Design is it Anyway” competitions, and more in the live Innovation Lab space throughout the day. #OLCInnovationLab
Dinner is on your own this evening. We encourage you to make reservations ahead of time and find new friends to dine with using #OLCDiningBuddies.
Have a great day!