DAILY UPDATE for Wednesday, April 5
IMPORTANT UPDATES for our Conference Attendees
Conference Registration Desk – Napoleon Foyer (Sheraton New Orleans)
Wednesday, April 5: 7:00am – 6:00pm
Wireless Internet Access for Conference Space
Wednesday Morning Workshops
Wednesday workshops begin at 8:30am. There are two workshop sessions today; the 10:30am workshops start after the networking break. Registration is not required for these Wednesday morning workshops; attendance is included in your conference registration fee. Attendees are free to select any two workshops to attend.
BYOD! Don’t forget to bring your own device (laptop, tablet, smart phone) for today’s workshop sessions.
Welcome Lunch & Opening Keynote: Lightning Talk Sessions
OLC Innovate 2017 (#OLCInnovate) opens up with a fast-paced speaker series we call Lightning Talks. Our Lightning Talks introduce the 5 guiding themes of Innovate this year, including: pedagogy, structure, workforce, challenges in learning, and a wild card – Propose Your Own – that pulls together the trends and climate of learning in our world today. Our #OLCInnovate Lightning Talks strive to introduce you to the concepts of innovation along with inspire you to think further about the conference experience ahead. Lunch will be provided at this opening session.
Today’s Featured Sessions
Breakfast will be available in the HBCU Summit (Rhythms III), the Community College Summit (Rhythms I), and TAACCCT@Innovate2017 (Gallery, 1st Floor) rooms for those attending those summits starting at 7:30am.
- HBCU Summit
- Community College Summit
- Be COOL With OER: Using California’s Open Online Library To Save Your Students Lots Of Money On Course Materials (Gerry Hanley, California State University Office of the Chancellor & MERLOT; Leslie Kennedy, California State University-Office of the Chancellor) – Challenging Barriers to Innovation, 4:00pm – 4:45pm, Maurepas (3rd Floor)
- What’s Happening At The OLC Institute For Professional Development? (Jennifer Rafferty, OLC) – Education Session, 1:30pm – 2:15pm, Maurepas (3rd Floor)
- Strategies For Implementing OLC Quality Scorecard At Institutions (Jennifer Mathes, OLC)) – Education Session, 1:30pm – 2:15pm, Rhthyms III (2nd Floor)
- The Future of Online Learning: A Roundtable Discussion (Anthony Picciano, CUNY – Graduate Center; Chuck Dziuban, University of Central Florida; Mary Niemiec, University of Nebraska; Karen Swan, University of Illinois Springfield; Jill Buban, Online Learning Consortium) – Education Session, 4:00pm – 4:45pm, Baryside B (4th Floor)
- Themes & Trends In Digital Courseware – OLC’s 2017 DLIAward Submission (Nori Barajas (OLC)) – Education Session, 4:00pm – 4:45pm, Nottoway (4th Floor)
- Insights On The National Adult Learner Coalition: Adding Your Voice To The Conversation (Karen Pedersen (Online Learning Consortium), Kathleen S Ives (Online Learning Consortium)) – Education Session, 4:00pm – 4:45pm, Rhythms III (2nd Floor)
- Featured Sessions:
- Straddling The Chasm: Supporting Faculty In A Networked, Digital Era (Michelle Pacansky-Brock (California State University-Channel Islands)) – Featured Session, Challenging Barriers to Innovation, 1:30pm – 2:15pm, Baside A (4th Floor)
- How Will Future Trends Influence The Way We Learn And Work? Prepare To Think Differently (Angela Dunn (BlogBrevity)) – Featured Session, Propose Your Own, 4:00pm – 4:45pm, Bayside A (4th Floor)
Wednesday Special Events
- Innovation Lab Whose Design is it Anyway? Round 1 will take place on the Innovation Lab (Napoleon Hall) at 3:15pm.
- Today’s National Titanium and Diamond level Sponsor special presentations, located in the National Sponsor Presentation Area – Napoleon Hall (located on right side of the Exhibit Hall):
- 1:30pm – D2L – Best Practices For Assessment In Competency-Based Education
- 2:30pm – ProctorU – Five Questions You Should Be Asking About Online Proctoring
- 4:00pm – Proctorio – Online Proctoring: Increasing The Value Of Online Education
- Innovate Welcome Reception (4:45pm – 6:15pm Napoleon Ballroom (3rd Floor) – Immediately following the Concurrent Session 3, meet with our exhibitors and sponsors and join fellow conference attendees for networking during the OLC Innovate Welcome Reception. Refreshments will be served.
- Take a look at our Special Events and Sponsorships page for information on event and contests/prizes.
Additional Items of Note
- The Solution Design Summit Advisory Sessions on Wednesday morning have been moved from Rhythms II to Oak Alley.
- WiFi is complimentary in Sheraton New Orleans guest rooms for those who booked rooms through the OLC travel page. WiFi is also complimentary in all conference meeting space. Meeting space WiFi log-in and password information: SSID: olc Password: olcwireless
- The exhibit hall opens at 7:30am today (Napoleon Exhibit Hall). Continental Breakfast and coffee service will be served until 9:00am.
- Take a stroll through the Innovation Installation (Lagniappe, 2nd Floor). This year, we are going to look at the present of innovation, mixing the history of the installation with a real-time generation of knowledge through multiple modalities: interviews, panels, social media, artifact creation and other forms of distributed network pedagogy.
- Looking for something different to do during the conference and especially during networking coffee breaks? Don’t forget to visit the exhibitors and enter to win some fabulous Booth Drawing prizes. Visit our Special Events page, stop by the OLC booth (#25) to enter a raffle, enter the social networking contest, and our Exhibitor stamp card contest – win an iPad Air 2 32GB and other prizes!
- OLC is offering prizes for getting your exhibitor card stamped!
- Pick-up your card at registration, visit each booth to collect a unique stamp, and turn your card in at the OLC booth (#25) no later than 11:15am Friday. Winners will be notified by email and Twitter on Friday.
- One Grand Prize winner will be drawn from those who collect ALL the unique sponsor and exhibitor stamps to win. Grand Prize: iPad Air2 WiFi 32GB.
- Additional prizes will include a variety of gift cards.
- Minimum of 25 stamps must be collected to be eligible for gift cards; full card must be stamped to be eligible for iPad drawing.
- Bring your own device (laptop, tablet, smart phone) and visit the Innovation Lab (located in the center of the exhibit hall, Napoleon Hall) to interact with emerging technology, connect challenges to innovative practices through hands-on experimentation, and document your ideas in a virtual lab manual. “Lab Techs” will be on hand to work with you! Don’t miss the featured live demos, presentations, makerspaces, “Whose Design is it Anyway” competitions, and more in the live Innovation Lab space throughout the day. #OLCInnovationLab
- OLC is offering prizes for getting your exhibitor card stamped!
- Check out the new additions to the Sponsor and Exhibitor Booth Raffles!
- Dinner is on your own this evening. We encourage you to make reservations ahead of time and find new friends to dine with using #OLCDiningBuddies.
Don’t Forget to Download the updated OLC Conference Mobile App
Available now in the Apple iTunes store for iPhone and iPad
Available now in the Google Play store for Android
We are continuously improving our app. This new version includes improved search functions, performance enhancements, and is now part of our improved single sign-on user experience. Please log in using your primary OLC website user account.
Please note: As part of our “green” initiatives, OLC is no longer using paper forms for session evaluations. Please use the OLC Conference mobile app or website to evaluate each session by clicking on “Evaluate Session” within each session listing.
Each session evaluation you complete (limited to one per session) using the mobile app will be one entry into our contest. There will be five $25 gift cards awarded to five individuals who complete session evaluations using the mobile app.
Create Your Personal Schedule
Add and remove sessions from the Program/Sessions listing on the website or in the mobile app to create a list of sessions you want to attend! Access your personalized list of sessions from the “My Schedule” tab on the Program page.
You must log into your OLC user account in order to access this scheduling feature. As long as you are logged in, your selections should sync across devices.
Activate Your Access to Conference Materials
Ensure you have access to all the uploaded session materials and streamed session recordings.
- Log into your OLC website user account, then click the “Activate” button below to access session materials and streams.
- Select “Program” or “Streamed Sessions” from the “Activate” landing page. “Program” will direct you to the full program; “Streamed Sessions” will direct you to only those sessions that are being streamed.
- Click on the desired session title to view session details.
- You will find an orange “Watch This Session” button in the top right of the page of each session that is being streamed. If the session is not being streamed, there will not be a “Watch” button.
- Presenter-provided session materials (if available) can be downloaded by clicking on the orange “Session Materials” button. If there is no button, the presenter has not yet uploaded their materials.
Note: You must be logged in to your OLC user account to view the “Watch This Session” button on the streamed sessions.
A step-by-step procedure of how to access and view the streamed session recordings may be found on our FAQ page (in the Virtual Conference FAQ section).
For easier access to the streaming program as well as crowd-sourced tips for enjoying the streaming portion of the conference, visit the new Virtual Lounge page.
On-demand access of all recorded sessions is provided to onsite and virtual attendees post-conference for one year.