New to Online, Essentials Part I: Getting StartedTrack : Online Design
Delivery Mode : Asynchronous Workshop
Levels : Beginner
Eligible for Online Teaching Certificate elective : No
An essential component of successful online teaching is experiencing online learning for yourself. This workshop will provide you with an important online learning experience as you explore the basics of online teaching and learning. You will learn the critical differences between online and face-to-face courses, including faculty and student expectations, role adjustments, and course design and evaluation. Your explorations will include research-based readings, presentations, and discussions with other new online teachers. There will also be an hour-long optional (recorded) live session where you will get a chance to meet your facilitator to discuss important topics related to online teaching and ask your questions.
Effective online teaching
Workload and time management
Student readiness and expectations
- Differentiate between online and face-to-face courses in terms of course design, roles, and expectations
- Create a learning resource for your online course based on your readings and explorations during this workshop
What are the key takeaways from this workshop?
- Understanding the differences between face to face and online teaching
- A learning resource that can be used in your online course
- Compilation of resources for further exploration
- Course and teaching evaluation tools
This is a weeklong asynchronous workshop, with an optional one-hour synchronous (live) session with the facilitator. The workshop will begin on a Monday and end on the following Sunday. The live session will be held on Monday, on the first day. The workshop will require approximately 6-8 hours of work, including reading research-based articles, viewing presentations, engaging in online discussion forums, and submitting assignments. Total length of time to completion: 7 days.
Who should attend?
- Faculty with little or no experience with online teaching
- Junior instructional designers
Note: This workshop is eligible for a digital badge for participants who complete all three workshops in the New to Online series. Upon completion of all three workshops, participants should contact firstname.lastname@example.org to notify. A badge will be issued after confirming that all requirements have been met. Please note badges will not be issued for workshops completed prior to 2019.