Introduction to Copyright & Fair Use, Part 1Track : Online Management
Delivery Mode : Synchronous Workshop
Levels : Beginner,Intermediate,Advanced
Eligible for Online Teaching Certificate elective : Yes
Possessing a working knowledge of copyright compliance and fair use is a professional necessity for instructors who teach online. In this workshop, you will develop an understanding of the basic framework of the applicable law and, more importantly, you will learn how to avoid copyright infringement through the application of Six Rules for Course Design. You will also find answers to important questions like: Do you know how to use copyright law to protect an idea? How long does copyright last? If a use is educational, does it always qualify as fair use?
- Describe six rules for course design as they pertain to avoiding copyright infringement
- Identify and apply the six rules for course design
This workshop is in a one-day, synchronous format. You will have access to the workshop content one day prior to the live session. There will then be a mandatory, 3-hour live session (typically from 12-3pm eastern time) during which you will hear a presentation and participate in a question and answer session. During the workshop, you will engage with your colleagues on an online discussion board. Following the session, you will be required to complete a quiz testing your knowledge within 24 hours of the conclusion of the live session. Total length of time to completion: 2 days, approximately 6 hours of work.
What are the key takeaways from this workshop?
- A live synchronous session experience with an expert in the topics of copyright and fair use for education
- Background information on the formation and purpose of copyright law in education
- A better understanding of the myths and misconceptions (and the reality) of copyright and fair use practices
- A discussion on the six rules to follow in regards to course design and copyright/fair use
Who should attend?
- Faculty Members
- Instructional Designers
- Online Program Administrators