Copyright & Fair Use, Part I: The FundamentalsTrack : Online Management
Delivery Mode : Asynchronous Workshop
Levels : Beginner,Intermediate,Advanced
Eligible for Online Teaching Certificate elective : Yes
Having a working knowledge of copyright compliance and fair use is a professional necessity for instructors who teach online. In this workshop, you will be introduced to the basic framework of copyright and fair use law in the context of course design and delivery. After dispelling the ten most common myths and misconceptions, you will examine these laws through the Six Rules of Course Design. The Six Rules organize the law in relation to the types of materials and resources educators use in the course design and delivery process rather than simply explain what the law says. Mini-cases will also be examined to illustrate the application of these basic rules.
- Describe six rules for course design as they pertain to avoiding copyright infringement
- Identify methods to apply the six rules for course design
This workshop is in a one-day, synchronous format. You will have access to the workshop content one day prior to the live session. There will then be a mandatory, 3-hour live session (typically from 12-3pm eastern time) during which you will hear a presentation and participate in a question and answer session. During the workshop, you will engage with your colleagues on an online discussion board. Following the session, you will be required to complete a quiz testing your knowledge within 24 hours of the conclusion of the live session. Total length of time to completion: 2 days, approximately 6 hours of work.
What are the key takeaways from this workshop?
- A live synchronous session experience with an expert in the topics of copyright and fair use for education
- Background information on the formation and purpose of copyright law in education
- A better understanding of the myths and misconceptions (and the reality) of copyright and fair use practices
- A discussion on the six rules to follow in regards to course design and copyright/fair use
Who should attend?
- Faculty Members
- Instructional Designers
- Online Program Administrators
Note: This workshop is eligible for a digital badge for participants who complete the two workshops in the Copyright & Fair Use series. Upon completion of both workshops, participants should contact firstname.lastname@example.org to notify. A badge will be issued after confirming that all requirements have been met. Please note badges will not be issued for workshops completed prior to 2019.