Creating Effective AssessmentsTrack : Online Design
Levels : Beginner
Eligible for Online Teaching Certificate elective : Yes
An important component of successful online teaching is developing efficient assessment strategies and methods. In this workshop you will explore formative and summative assessment techniques used in online education and develop assessment strategies suitable for your online course. You will create a plan to help align learning objectives and activities with assessments. You will explore the differences between summative and formative assessments, and discuss strategies for implementing them. Integrating multiple forms of assessment allows students more opportunities to evaluate their performance.
- Identify formative and summative assessment strategies used in online education.
- Develop assessment strategies for your online courses.
This is an asynchronous, week-long workshop which will begin on a Monday and end on the following Sunday. The workshop will require approximately 6-8 hours of work, including reading research-based articles, viewing presentations, engaging in online discussion forums, and submitting assignments. Total length of time to completion: 7 days.
Who should attend?
- Faculty who teach online and blended courses
- Instructional designers
What are the key takeaways from this workshop?
- Examples of formative and summative assessment activities
- Practical strategies for implementing an assessment depending on its type (formative or summative)
- An individualized assessment strategy plan for your course