Designing Courses with a Multimodal ApproachTrack : Online Design
Delivery Mode : Asynchronous Workshop
Levels : Beginner,Intermediate,Advanced
Eligible for Online Teaching Certificate elective : Yes
Multimodal course design creates a learning environment which is conducive to various learning preferences by delivering the same content in multiple formats. In this workshop, you will explore strategies for developing content in various formats by using visuals, audio and video to engage a diverse set of learners. You will explore the research-based foundation of why this approach to learning design is effective, while viewing examples from best practices in multimodal content design.
- Discuss considerations for delivering content in multiple formats to reach an audience with diverse learning styles
- Design a learning activity using a multimodal approach
This is an asynchronous, week-long workshop which will begin on a Monday and end on the following Sunday. The workshop will require approximately 6-8 hours of work, including reading research-based articles, viewing presentations, engaging in online discussion forums, and submitting assignments. Total length of time to completion: 7 days.
Who should attend?
- Faculty who teach in any modality
- Instructional Designers
What are the key takeaways from this workshop?
- A framework for understanding multimodal course design
- Practical examples of how content can be created using the multimodal model
- A learning activity created using a multimodal approach