Exploring Competency-Based EducationTrack : Online Learners
Delivery Mode : Asynchronous Workshop
Levels : Beginner,Intermediate,Advanced
Eligible for Online Teaching Certificate elective : Yes
Competency-based education measures student achievement of stated outcomes, rather than time spent on specific learning activities. In this workshop, you will explore the elements of competency-based education to better understand how you can structure self-paced, learner-focused, outcomes-driven learning environments which measure student achievement through the collection of learning artifacts. You will develop an understanding of how to define competencies and how to set up ways for students to then demonstrate their ability to meet those competencies.
- Discuss best practices in competency-based education
- Design a competency-based learning activity for your online course
This is an asynchronous, week-long workshop which will begin on a Monday and end on the following Sunday. The workshop will require approximately 6-8 hours of work, including reading research-based articles, viewing presentations, engaging in online discussion forums, and submitting assignments. Total length of time to completion: 7 days.
Who should attend?
- Faculty who teach in all modalities
- Instructional designers
What are the key takeaways from this workshop?
- A better understanding of what competency-based education is and how an institution can benefit from such a program
- Examples of competency-based education programs and activities and how they can be applied to your situation
- Creation of a competency-based learning activity for your online course