Exploring Digital StorytellingTrack : Online Learners
Delivery Mode : Asynchronous Workshop
Levels : Intermediate,Advanced
Eligible for Online Teaching Certificate elective : Yes
Digital Storytelling combines multiple media formats to create impactful learning experiences that engage both the mind and emotions of the learner. In this workshop, you will explore the elements of an effective digital story, including point-of-view, voice, sound, images and pacing. You will observe examples of digital storytelling in education and discuss what makes them effective learning experiences. Finally you will look at implementation strategies for adding these stories into your courses.
- Explore effective uses and best practices of digital storytelling in a variety of educational contexts
- Create and publish a short digital story
Prerequisite: Participants in this workshop need to have working knowledge of basic presentation tools and some video editing skills.
This is an asynchronous, week-long workshop which will begin on a Monday and end on the following Sunday. The workshop will require approximately 6-8 hours of work, including reading research-based articles, viewing presentations, engaging in online discussion forums, and submitting assignments. Total length of time to completion: 7 days.
Who should attend?
- Faculty who teach in any modality
- K-12 Teachers
- Instructional designers
- Educational technologists
What are the key takeaways from this workshop?
- A better understanding of what digital storytelling is and how it can be applied to education
- Examples of digital storytelling
- Tools for audio and video to create your own digital story
- Things to consider regarding copyright, creative commons, and accessibility
- Creation of a short digital story