Applying Universal Design for Learning (UDL) Principles to Online Courses to Increase Accessibility and EngagementTrack : Accessibility
Levels : Beginner,Intermediate
Eligible for Online Teaching Certificate elective : Yes
Faculty teaching online courses encounter a diverse student population with various learning preferences and needs. Instead of creating a one-size-fits-all approach to teaching, consider designing and delivering your course using a framework that provides flexible instructional goals, methods, materials and assessments with embedded choices and scaffolds to meet the needs of your diverse learning population. Universal Design for Learning (UDL) take into consideration that students learn differently and, therefore, should be provided with different options for learning materials and for demonstrating learning. This workshop will help you understand the core concepts of UDL and apply them to an online course setting.
Note: This workshop is eligible for the OLC Accessibility Badge for participants that complete all four of our workshops on the topic of accessibility and universal design for learning.
- Identify barriers that may be present in an online course environment
- Identify the fundamental concepts of UDL, including how UDL differs from differentiated instruction, and how UDL eliminates barriers in online course environments
- Design and deliver an element of an online course using the principles of UDL
This is an asynchronous, week-long workshop which will begin on a Monday and end on the following Sunday. The workshop will require approximately 6-8 hours of work, including reading research-based articles, viewing presentations, engaging in online discussion forums, and submitting assignments. Total length of time to completion: 7 days.
Who should attend?
- Faculty who teach in online and blended formats
- Instructional designers
What are the key takeaways from this workshop?
- A better understanding of the concepts and principles of Universal Design for Learning
- Strategies for reducing or eliminating barriers to learning in online courses
- A redesigned online course element utilizing the principles of UDL