New to Online: Essentials Part 3, Course Design BasicsTrack : Online Design
Delivery Mode : Asynchronous Workshop
Levels : Beginner
Eligible for Online Teaching Certificate elective : Yes
Your first foray into online teaching can be exciting, yet challenging, as you explore the many opportunities that online teaching can present. To take advantage of those opportunities, you’ll need a great online syllabus and some strategies for designing effective online learning activities. This workshop will help you identify important considerations in the design of both.
The workshop will utilize the OLC Quality Course Teaching & Instructional Practice rubric from the OLC Quality Scorecard Suite
- Identify key components of an effective online syllabus
- Describe important considerations for effective online learning activities
- Discuss accessibility issues
This is an asynchronous, week-long workshop which will begin on a Monday and end on the following Sunday. The workshop will require approximately 6-8 hours of work, including reading research-based articles, viewing presentations, engaging in online discussion forums, and submitting assignments. Total length of time to completion: 7 days.
What are the key takeaways from this workshop?
- Understanding the course design process
- Understanding accessibility issues as they relate to online courses, and access to various accessibility resources
- Several examples of online course syllabi
- Online syllabus checklist
- Ideas for creating online learning activities
Who should take this workshop?
- Faculty who are new to the online or blended environment
- Junior instructional designers