Strategies for Designing & Facilitating Engaging Online Discussions Self-Paced WorkshopTrack : Online Learners
Levels : Beginner,Intermediate
Well-designed online discussions address a number of research-based strategies critical to effective online learning and improved learning outcomes. Through online discussions, student-student and student-content interactions increase, and both faculty and students collaborate in the learning process as they explore unique perspectives. This workshop delves into strategies for engaging learners in meaningful discussion through setting expectations, designing good questions, and effective facilitation techniques. You will also explore various discussion tools that can be employed to foster learner engagement and improve learning outcomes. Throughout the workshop, you will contribute to an action plan for creating engaging and effective online discussions in your courses.
- Identify strategies and tools to improve online discussions
- Develop an action plan for creating engaging online discussions in your course
This online workshop is entirely self-paced and is not instructor facilitated. The estimated time for completion is 6-8 hours, but you will likely find yourself spending more time as you investigate some of the additional resources that are provided. You will have 365-day access which will begin on the first day you enroll. This workshop has been divided into five modules which consist of brief narrated presentations, additional resources to explore, and module assessments.
- Module 1 – Benefits of Online Discussions
- Module 2 – Setting Expectations
- Module 3 – Designing Good Questions
- Module 4 – Facilitation Techniques
- Module 5 – Alternative Discussion Board Tools
Who Should Attend?
- Faculty new to the online environment
- Veteran online and blended faculty
- Instructional designers
- Instructional technologists
- Faculty developers
What are the key takeaways from this workshop?
- A self-assessment of your current practices with online discussions
- Strategies for designing and facilitating online discussions in order to engage learners and produce meaningful discussion
- A personal action plan for incorporating strategies and best practices into your discussions