OLC Accelerate 2019 Marks 25 Years of Online Learning’s Foremost International Conference
The Online Learning Consortium announces keynote speakers and Best-in-Track sessions for OLC Accelerate, continuing the conference’s 25-year legacy of sharing effective practices and evaluating technologies for teaching and learning online.
NEWBURYPORT, Mass. (Oct. 8, 2019) — The Online Learning Consortium (OLC) will celebrate 25 years of gathering online learning leaders and practitioners from around the world at one of the largest and longest-standing conferences in online teaching and learning: OLC Accelerate 2019 (#OLCAccelerate), Nov. 19-22, in Orlando, Florida.
Since its inception 25 years ago, OLC’s international conference has grown from an intimate gathering of online learning pioneers to one of the most highly anticipated annual events in digital education, attracting thousands of online learning leaders, researchers, practitioners and edtech innovators from around the world.
The first “International Conference on Asynchronous Learning Networks” was held in Philadelphia, followed by several years in New York, after which it was hosted by the University of Maryland University College. In 2001, the conference moved to Orlando, Florida, where it continues today.
“Over the years, the name of the conference has changed from ALN to the Annual Online Learning Consortium International Conference to its current name, OLC Accelerate,” said Jennifer Mathes, Interim CEO of the Online Learning Consortium. “What hasn’t changed is the conference’s mission to create a gathering place for the online, blended and digital learning community to share and discover effective practices and evaluate technologies for teaching and learning online.”
OLC’s annual international conference owes much of its growth and success to a passionate community of speakers, attendees, volunteers and sponsors, who have helped create and deliver a compelling conference experience each and every year. The history of the conference is being told through their personal experiences via the OLC Conference Insider blog and social channels using hashtag #WeAreOLC.
Announcing Best-in-Track Sessions at OLC Accelerate 2019
OLC Accelerate offers the ideal setting for sharing innovative research and practice across the online and blended learning community — encompassing education, leadership, instructional design, technology innovation, user experience (UX) and beyond. These focus areas are represented in the Best-in-Track sessions announced today:
- Track: Leadership and Institutional Strategies – Breaking Out to Develop Creative Sustainable Online Programs. Presenters: David Wicks, Julie Antilla, Jung Hyun, Jorge Preciado and Munyi Shea, Seattle Pacific University
- Track: Learner Services and Support – Applying Cultural Humility in Online Learning. Presenter: Dayra Fallad-Mendoza, University of New Mexico
- Track: Professional Development and Support – Faculty Engagement in 3 Facilitation Models of Online Professional Development Workshops. Presenter: Lynn Wahl, UNC Charlotte
- Track: Research – Mining for Achievement Using Student Performance and End-of Course Data: A Multicovariate Analysis of 60,000 Online Courses. Presenters: Barbara Zorn-Arnold and Adam Selhorst, Ashford University
- Track: Teaching and Learning Effectiveness – Show It Off! Showcase Your Artificial Intelligence. Presenters: Lisa Burke, Glori Hinck and Katherina Pattit, University of St. Thomas – Minnesota
- Track: Tools and Technologies – Design Jam for the Five Senses. Presenter: Jeremy Kemp, Santa Clara University
Program Chairs Megan Kohler of Penn State University and Doug Geier of Golden Gate University expressed their congratulations and gratitude to the Best-in-Track presenters for sharing their inventive approaches to developing quality online learning experiences with attendees of OLC Accelerate 2019.
Top Speakers, Important Topics, Hands-On Experiences
Headlining the OLC Accelerate program are keynoters Talithia Williams, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Mathematics at Harvey Mudd College and popular TED Talk speaker, and Ross Dawson, leading futurist, entrepreneur, author and Founding Chairman of futures think-tank Future Exploration Network.
In addition to more than 500 sessions on a wide range of topics and special interest areas, including edtech, proctoring, accessibility, gamification, K-12, open educational resources, and more, the conference features a multitude of learning and networking opportunities, including:
- Special program events including: Online International Summit; OLC Instructional Design Summit; OLC Leadership Network Event; OLC Research Summit; US-SINO Online Higher Education Forum; OLC IDEA Leadership in Digital Learning Luncheon; and the Technology Test Kitchen Escape Room.
- Unique engagement opportunities including the Field Guide Program, Talk-Abouts and Speed Networking Lounge.
- Exhibit hall with 80-plus brands, entrepreneurs and innovators providing access to the latest education solutions.
Visit the OLC Accelerate website for all conference information, including online registration and speaker and program updates.
About Online Learning Consortium
The Online Learning Consortium (OLC) is a collaborative community of higher education leaders and innovators, dedicated to advancing quality digital teaching and learning experiences designed to reach and engage the modern learner – anyone, anywhere, anytime. OLC inspires innovation and quality through an extensive set of resources, including best-practice publications, quality benchmarking, leading-edge instruction, community-driven conferences, practitioner-based and empirical research and expert guidance. The growing OLC community includes faculty members, administrators, trainers, instructional designers, and other learning professionals, as well as educational institutions, professional societies and corporate enterprises. Visit http://onlinelearningconsortium.org for more information.