Online Learning Consortium Announces Recipients of 2016 OLC Awards and Effective Practice Awards
Awardees will be recognized at the OLC Accelerate Conference, Nov. 16-18, in Orlando; OLC also announces four recipients of the 2016 Bruce Chaloux Memorial Conference Scholarship.
NEWBURYPORT, Mass., Oct. 4, 2016 /PRNewswire-iReach/ -- The Online Learning Consortium (OLC) today announced the recipients of the 2016 OLC Awards and the 2016 Effective Practice Awards, which will be presented at OLC Accelerate 2016 (#OLCAccelerate), in Orlando, Florida, Nov. 16-18. OLC also announced four recipients of the 2016 Bruce Chaloux Memorial Conference Scholarship, which supports professional development of educators worldwide.
"Members of the OLC community continually strive to develop and deliver quality online learning experiences," said Kathleen S. Ives, D.M., CEO and executive director, Online Learning Consortium. "This year's Award recipients represent extraordinary examples of the innovation happening in online learning today. We thank them for their dedication to quality and congratulate them on their success."
2016 OLC Awards, Recognizing Advances in Online Learning
The OLC Awards recognize the tremendous advances in online learning that result from the ideas and initiatives of individuals and colleges and universities around the world. The recipients of the 2016 OLC Awards are:
- Frank Mayadas Leadership Award in Online Education: Patricia James, Executive Director, California Community Colleges' Online Education Initiative
- Excellence in Faculty Development for Online Teaching: Jennifer Redd, Director of eCampus, San Jose State University
- Excellence in Online Teaching: Courtney Stewart, Assistant Professor, Utah State University
- Outstanding Online Program: Tidal Leadership Certificate at Washington State University
OLC's Effective Practice Awards recognize effective techniques, strategies and practices that are shared by members of the OLC community to advance quality and access to online programs. The 2016 Effective Practice Awards recipients are:
- Nayana Parange, University of South Australia, for "Fostering Sustained, Authentic Learning Among Tomorrow's Obstetric and Gynecological Sonographers in a Fully Online Postgraduate Course"
- Beth Oyarzun and Elizabeth Gazza, University of North Carolina Wilmington, for "Applied Learning Experiences in an Online Accelerated Degree Completion Nursing Program: The Leadership and Management Practicum"
- Ayesha Sadaf, University of North Carolina at Charlotte, and Larisa Olesova, George Mason University, for Enhancing Cognitive Presence in Online Case Discussions with Question Based on Practical Inquiry Model"
- Mark Brown, James Brunton, Ann, Cleary, Eamon Costello, Loraine Delaney, Seamus Fox, Jennifer, Lisa O'Regan, and Jamie Ward, Dublin City University, Maynooth University, Dundalk Institute of Technology, and Institute of Technology Sligo, for "Student Success Toolbox for Flexible Learners: Supporting Transitions from Thinking about Study to the First Weeks"
- Frank Tomsic, Phylise Banner, Clark Shah-Nelson, Angela Gunder, Ann Musgrove, Jessica Knott, Robbie Melton, Bethany Bovard, and Dave Goodrich, for "The Technology Test Kitchen"
- Shanta Goswami Varma and Henry Newkirk, University of Houston – Clear Lake, for "Pathway to Quality Online Education at University of Houston – Clear Lake"
- Michael Brown, Tommy Bennett, and Lewis Williams, UMUC, for "Multiple Programming Language Introduction Programming Course"
This is the second round of OLC Effective Practice Awards presented in 2016. An initial round was presented at the OLC Innovate Conference earlier this year.
2016 Bruce Chaloux Memorial Conference Scholarship
The Bruce Chaloux Memorial Conference Scholarship Fund developed in memory of the former OLC CEO, supports the professional development of educators from around the world. The Scholarship provides recipients the opportunity to attend OLC conferences. Recipients of the 2016 Bruce Chaloux Memorial Conference Scholarship are:
- Carolyn Stevenson, Faculty, Kaplan University
- Sara Ombres, Assistant Director for the Rothwell Center for Teaching and Learning Excellence (CTLE), Embry Riddle Aeronautical University
- Tara Lifland, Instructional Designer, George Washington University
- Kimberly Hilton, Associate Professor of English, Ivy Tech Community College
More information about the awards and scholarships can be found on the OLC Website.
About Online Learning Consortium
The Online Learning Consortium (OLC) is the leading professional organization devoted to advancing the quality of online learning worldwide. The member-sustained organization offers an extensive set of resources for professional development and institutional advancement of online learning, including, original research, leading-edge instruction, best-practice publications, community-driven conferences and expert guidance. OLC members include educators, administrators, trainers and other online learning professionals, as well as educational institutions, professional societies and corporate enterprises. Visit https://onlinelearningconsortium.org/ for more information.
Media Contact: Eileen Pacheco, Tango Group LLC, 508-888-7478, email@example.com