The Last Mile of Learning, Next Generation of Digital Learning
Concurrent Session 4
This experience is for people interested in the results and lessons learned in creating the next generation of digital learning for leaders and managers. Prerequisites: Curiosity, Love of Learning.
The experience is a documented, two year, design experiment inside GE’s Brilliant YOU. Co-presenters from GE and partner, exper!ence it, will reveal for the first-time publically the 3-Episode Series, The People Development Factory. This is a story and character driven, episodic series that immerses the participants inside an intellectually challenging and emotional engaging roller coaster ride of deep learning and engagement that has changed digital learning.
This presentation is for any audience level interested in the challenges and lessons learned in creating the next generation of digital learning experiences for leaders and managers. Prerequisites: Curiosity, Ambition and a Love of Learning.
Today’s knowledge platforms are leading to massive amounts of modularized content deployed globally, yet learning is strongly linked to individual motivation and an ability to think contextually while making necessary connections.
How do you balance the need for scalability and still provide the learner with an experience that makes the last mile significantly different than the rest of the ‘mass transit’ journey?
Designers of digital learning experiences have often struggled to deliver rich, engaging, customized worlds for unique leaders, but that’s changing.
In this session we will explore the findings from a two-year design experiment inside GE’s Brilliant You Learning Platform. Co-Presenters from GE’s Leadership Development Institute and partner, exper!ence it inc., will reveal the 3-Episode Series, The People Development Factory. This is a story and character driven series that immerses participants inside an intellectually challenging and emotionally engaging leadership learning and engagement experience.
The bumps and lessons we learned along the way will be shared and the audience will experience the simulation in real time, including the following discussions:
- The Learning Galaxy - Ownership, Authorship, Relationship and Mentorship (Four learning principles that drive experiential design)
- Team Make-Up and Working Process (Blurred lines between: Learning & Creative + Technology)
- Bleeding Edge vs. Leading Edge Technology (Leading Edge is Enough)
- Design: It is all about DESIGN.
- Story: Digital learning is only scratching the surface of leveraging story.
- Character: 5 people spent 6 months fully dedicated to developing the character story arcs. It was worth it.
- The Digital Mentor: Providing digitally customized ‘employee’ 180 degree expert coaching feedback to every learner.
- Transfer to Application: The Digital Mentor is customized for Mobile Devices for real-time coaching, encouragement, just-in-time tools and ongoing support.
- The Economics of the Learning Business have Already Changed: Large Distribution systems are changing the game.
This session will be co-presented by the client and external partner. It is a hands on, lively, engaged session, focused on practical insight and applications back on the job including:
- Hands On: Participants will download, where possible, or used table-based iPads to experience The People Development Factory.
- Interactive Team Experience: of the two-year experience, learning bumps and lessons learned, presented in the form of a learning map. Participants will interact with each other around the map exploring how the lessons learned apply to their most pressing learning needs.
- with four to six others around key lessons that came from the two-year experiment.
- Specific On The Job Examples: will be discussed in detail providing both the client and the external partner perspectives on learning, design and delivery.
- The Learning Galaxy Experiential Table Game: A table game created around the four main principles of the reconceptualization of learning theory: Ownership, Authorship, Relationship and Mentorship. The focus is on how each of the four forces affect your learning audience now and how you can leverage them.
The participants will:
- Discover a new way to think about learner’s and learning. The Learning Galaxy.
- Apply the principles of The Learning Galaxy - Ownership, Authorship, Relationship and Mentorship in creating incredible engagement.
- Explore the importance of, and learn How To, leverage Story and Character in your next program.
- Be inspired by the potential of Digital Learning to transform learning.
- Reevaluate the importance of curiosity and diversity on your next design project team.