Designing and Developing a Faculty Professional Development Program for Extended Reality in Higher Education
Concurrent Session 2
Do you want to know about a faculty development framework that focuses on equipping faculty to teach with extended reality (XR)? Or do you want to know more about some of the best practices for integrating XR into a course or lesson? Attend this interactive presentation for more information.
Recent developments in Extended Reality (XR) have heightened the need for colleges and universities to revisit how virtual reality (VR), augmented reality (AR) and mixed reality (MR) will be implemented within the curriculum. While discourses on technologies associated with XR seemingly dominate news releases, the main challenge faced by many educators is how to use XR effectively within their learning spaces. Furthermore, the research to justify academic gains when using VR, AR, MR is ongoing. For academic gains to be established, faculty must understand the possible benefits of using VR, AR, MR. Also, faculty need to know how to design and develop a lesson using this technology. This presentation is designed to outline the critical components required for designing and developing a professional development program for extended reality (VR, AR, MR).
The presentation has four main objectives, (1) to highlight the key components for consideration when designing and developing a professional program for extended reality in higher education, (2) explain benefits of implementing extended reality within higher education, (3) highlight best practices for integrating XR into an existing faculty development program, and (4) showcase strategies that can be used to assess faculty within the professional development program.
During this interactive and informative session, the presenters will:
- Share and discuss a possible framework for designing a faculty development program for XR.
- Allow participants to engage in a personalize SWOT analysis focused on implementing extended reality within their institution.
- Interact with audience members to gather their ideas and suggestions on improving the suggested framework.
- Share models of best practices for integrating XR into an existing faculty development program.
- Showcase the Google Card Board, Oculus Go, and the Oculus Quest, VR camera and other equipment. Attendees will also be allowed to utilize this equipment.
Virtual Reality, Augmented Reality, Mixed Reality, Faculty Development, Learning Modality, Higher Education, Online Learning, Blended Learning, Faculty Engagement,