HBCU C2 Affordable Learning Summit 2019 - Part 1
Concurrent Session 10
The HBCU C2 Affordable Learning Summit is a practitioners summit for the new initiative for HBCU: HBCU C2 of 'Everyone Can Code and Everyone Can Create' and for advancing open education resource (OER) affordable learning solutions and quality online eduation for HBCUs.
ABOUT THE HBCU SUMMIT:
The goals of the Summit include:
- Introduction of HBCU C 2 of ‘Everyone Can Code and Everyone Can Create’ for addressing digital literacy and coding and creativity to improve teaching and learning,
- Awareness of Emerging Technologies of Mixed Reality (VR/AR), wearable, A.I., and smart tools for transforming education,
- Opportunities, and Challenges of Open Education Resources (OERs) as ‘Affordable Learning Solutions (AL$)’ for addressing the high costs of textbooks and other student related learning materials,
- Research, demonstration, and presentations of OER-AL$ for enhancing teaching and improving learning,
- Utilization of OER-AL$ for SkillsCommons in supplementing workforce training and careers,
- Hands-on sessions to assist in developing strategic customized AL$ Campus Deployment Plans and
- Discussion sessions for recommending strategies to OLC and MERLOT in advancing and sustaining support for HBCUs and in their implementation of affordable learning solutions and online education.
The Summit is the 4th annual meeting of HBCU’s at ACCELERATE where HBCU’s will present and share their AL$ strategies and outcomes, along with other online education initiatives that emerge as priorities for HBCU’s. The Summit will be blended within the ACCELERATE conference which will provide forums for informative and stimulating presentations and discussions on strategies that can assist in the creation of a sustainable partnerships in online learning environments, as well as explore issues related to faculty and student engagement and raising awareness about next generation courseware.
LEVERAGING HBCU LEADERSHIP:
There are 105 historically black colleges and universities (HBCUs) in the United States, all of which are invited to participate in the symposium. California State University, and MERLOT will share practices, strategies, and resources for reducing the costs of instructional materials for students, making higher education more affordable for more students in Historically Black Universities (HBCUs) in the United States, as well as in Higher Education Institutions across the globe. Leaders from HBCUs, and California State University/MERLOT will facilitate a series of leadership sessions, strategic planning, and hands-on workshops that will be embedded in the annual ACCELERATE conference.
The summit will include presentations from HBCUs; on how they designed and are implementing their locally customized and sustainable AL$ program. *The faculty and the leadership of these institutions will facilitate the sessions and workshops at the conference.
HBCU C 2 : Everyone Can Code and Everyone Can Create at HBCUs
If you are interested in attending this deep-dive into HBCU C2 and OER program at your HBCU, please email Moustapha (Moustaphadiack@smedprogram.org) or Robbie (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information. Non-HBCU Affiliates are welcome to attend the HBCU Summit at the Accelerate conference. Non-affiliates will pay OLC/MERLOT member or non-member rates as usual for the conference. There is no additional fee for the HBCU Summit.
All attendees wishing to attend the HBCU Summit (HBCU Affiliate or not) should indicate that they plan to participate in the HBCU Summit when prompted during the registration process.