Increasing Student Success with Team Projects in the Virtual Classroom
Teamwork has been identified as a core professional competency that companies look for in the hiring process. Virtual teams have become a major component in the delivery of online courses to satisfy employer needs. Increasing student satisfaction when working on teams will prepare them for greater workplace and academic success.
Virtual teams have become a major component in the delivery of online courses. Teamwork has been identified as a necessary professional competency that companies look for in the hiring process and, given the current health crisis virtual teams will continue to assume a larger role. Virtual teams in the classroom as in the world of work can be problematic resulting in student and faculty dissatisfaction and reduction of team related activities. To help provide employers with qualified candidates for their talent needs, a causal analysis can be conducted, and success stories shared for application by session participants. In this session we will explore through brainstorming
- Problem exploration, Topics included will be:
- Does this problem exist globally for all online courses?
- Do blended courses experience the same of different issues?
- Faculty preparedness team-based assignments. Topics included will be;
- Shared personal experience of team-based work, i.e., what has been successful and what has been problematic
- Shared experiences on challenges in creating team assignments in the classroom
- Best practices. Topics included will be;
- Training provided to faculty on creating virtual team assignments
- Success stories on overcoming challenges
- Action Planning- Participants will work together in small groups to
- create an action plan that can be immediately implemented in classes
- create a network with others in this session to continue researching this topic