Liquid Learning: Innovation and transition into a new blended model
Concurrent Session 5
When dealing with Covid19, IE Business School introduced a new pedagogy and blended learning approach: the Liquid Learning (see https://www.ie.edu/building-resilience/liquid-learning/#). During the lecture we will explain the new blended approach and how we made the transition to the new pedagogy and make it work for 7.000 students and 300 faculty members in 5 months.
When dealing with Covid19, IE Business School introduced a new pedagogy and learning approach: the Liquid Learning (see https://www.ie.edu/building-resilience/liquid-learning/#). Liquid Learning is an evolution of IE´s blended approach in order to make it applicable to all kind of programs, face-to-face and online, so that the courses could be deployed both in a purely online and in a hybrid (some students attending online and some students attending face-to-face) setting.
During the lecture we will explain what was the initial blended approach that we had in place for our online programs and how we made the transition to the new pedagogy and make it work for 7.000 students and 300 faculty members in 5 months. Among other things we will explain:
- IE´s vision about Liquid Learning: The concept, the core pedagogical principles (active learning and personalized learning) and the methodologies involved.
- The journey we went through in order to nail down the vision and make change happen. This includes the mandate from the Board, workgroups with program management and faculty members to get their buy-in, research, identifying best practices, getting advocates on board and quality assurance mechanisms.
- The learning strategies and enablers introduced at IE in order to make the vision work. Among other things we will speak about our Learning Asset Strategy, the massive deployment of our proprietary videoconference software, the WoW Room (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YEbrbVqbyM) and the infrastructure deployment that is currently taking place at IE.
- The deployment that is currently taking place at IE to make this happen. This includes revision of processes, support and training for faculty, new learning tools, etc.
- The approach we are taking towards getting qualitative and quantitative feedback to keep on innovating our Liquid Learning Strategy.
When attending the lecture, attendees will:
- Learn from a new pedagogical approach implemented in a leading European business school in online learning: Liquid Learning.
- Understand the key drivers for coming up with a new pedagogical vision and making it work.
- Deepen in the process of introducing the blended methodology from blended / online programs to the entire institution.
- Reflect on the strategic, technological, operational and pedagogical changes required to make blended approaches work throughout the entire institution.
The lecture will be provided by Prof. Laura Rojo (Assistant Dean for portfolio of Bachelors in Business and Prof. Ignacio Gafo (Associate Dean for Blended Programs) from IE Business School. They will provide two different but complementary visions: The one whose programs are fully immersed into online and blended pedagogies and the one whose programs are incorporating a new pedagogical approach.