HBCU Summit: Affordable Learning Solutions & Everyone Can Code and Create Workshop
Concurrent Session 5 & 6 & 7 (combined)
The 5th annual meeting of HBCU’s at OLC Innovate 2020 Virtual Conference will address the national HBCU C2 initiative of Apple's 'Everyone Can Code and Create' and updates regarding the HBCU AL$ (Affordable Learning Solutions of OER) strategies and outcomes for reducing the cost of textbooks.
HBCU C2Affordable Learning and Every HBCU Can Code and Create
Practitioners workshop for the new initiative for HBCU: HBCU C2OF ‘EVERYONE CAN CODE AND EVERYONE CAN CREATE’AND FOR ADVANCING OPEN EDUCATION RESOURCE (OER) AFFORDABLE LEARNING SOLUTIONS AND QUALITY ONLINE EDUCATION FOR HBCUS.
The goals of the workshop include:
- Introduction of HBCU C2 of ‘Everyone Can Code and Everyone Can Create’for addressing digital literacy and coding and creativity to improve teaching and learning,
- Awareness of Emerging Technologies of Mixed Reality (VR/AR), wearable, A.I., and smart tools for transforming education,
- Opportunities, and Challenges of Open Education Resources (OERs) as ‘Affordable Learning Solutions (AL$)’ for addressing the high costs of textbooks and other student related learning materials,
- Research, demonstration, and presentations of OER-AL$ for enhancing teaching and improving learning,
- Utilization of OER-AL$ for SkillsCommons in supplementing workforce training and careers,
- Hands-on sessions to assist in developing strategic customized AL$ Campus Deployment Plans and
- Discussion sessions for recommending strategies to OLC and MERLOT in advancing and sustaining support for HBCUs and in their implementation of affordable learning solutions and online education.
LEVERAGING HBCU LEADERSHIP:
There are 105 historically black colleges and universities (HBCUs) in the United States, all of which are invited to participate in the symposium. California State University, and MERLOT will share practices, strategies, and resources for reducing the costs of instructional materials for students, making higher education more affordable for more students in Historically Black Universities (HBCUs) in the United States, as well as in Higher Education Institutions across the globe. Leaders from HBCUs, and California State University/MERLOT will facilitate a series of leadership sessions, strategic planning, and hands-on workshops that will be embedded in the annual ACCELERATE conference.
The summit will include presentations from HBCUs; on how they designed and are implementing their locally customized and sustainable AL$ program. *The faculty and the leadership of these institutions will facilitate the sessions and workshops at the conference.
HBCU C2: Everyone Can Code and Everyone Can Create at HBCUs
If you are interested in attending this deep-dive into HBCU C2 and OER program at your HBCU, please email Robbie (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information or Moustapha (Moustaphadiack@smedprogram.org)