Enhancing Instruction through the use of Adaptive Courseware and Research-based Teaching Practices
Concurrent Session 7
Through a grant from the Association of Public and Land-Grant Universities, Colorado State University is in the final year of scaling the use of adaptive courseware. To gain a holistic vision of the student and faculty experience, students were surveyed to determine their perceptions of the use of adaptive courseware and its impact on their learning. CSU will share student success and student perception data as well as survey results related to faculty use of research-based teaching practices.
Through a grant from the Association of Public and Land-Grant Universities, Colorado State University (CSU), in partnership with a cohort of eight universities, is in the final year of scaling the use of adaptive courseware in core curriculum courses. In this effort, instructional designers partnered with faculty teaching high-enrollment courses to enhance instruction by incorporating principles of learning science to inform course design and adaptive courseware to promote mastery of lower-level Blooms concepts outside of class. In an effort to gain a holistic perspective of the program, both faculty and students completed surveys related to the use of adaptive courseware. Faculty also completed the Teaching Practices Inventory (Wieman and Gilbert, 2014) to assess the change in the use of research-based teaching practices upon participating in the course redesign. Presenters will share key findings related to: 1) faculty changes in the use of research-based teaching practices upon participating in the course redesign by comparing pre-TPI with the post-TPI score; and 2) preliminary results related to student success.
- Introduction Activity: Brainstorm an initiative related to teaching at your institution.
- List 3 things that went well, 3 things that didn’t go as planned.
- Facilitated discussion to identify commonalities.
- Presentation: Grant background and CSU’s strategy to scale the use of adaptive courseware, and develop faculty through course redesign consultations and a community of practice.
- CSU results
- Student success data related to results from the Teaching Practices Inventory
- Faculty perceptions related to adaptive courseware
- Student perceptions of adaptive courseware and how it supports learning
- CSU results
- Reflection: Extending the work… [worksheet]
- Identify a campus initiative related to teaching or educational technology.
- Identify the goal.
- Identify shareholders (schools, departments, faculty, committees, etc.) that will need to be involved to for the initiative to be successful.
- Identify research-based teaching strategies as a focus for faculty development delivered through a community of practice.
- Discuss worksheet with a partner and identify a common question(s) for presenter.
- Teams choose one (or two) question(s) and share with group.
- Presenter will respond or poll audience for responses.