Welcome to OLC Innovate 2016!
OLC and MERLOT welcome you to New Orleans and our first ever Innovate conference! We hope you enjoy this new and exciting conference format. Please be sure to read through all of the updates below in order to be fully informed and prepared for next week’s events!
IMPORTANT UPDATES for our Conference Attendees
Conference Registration Desk – Napoleon Foyer (3rd Floor)
Tuesday, April 19:
5:00pm – 7:00pm
Wednesday, April 20:
7:00am – 5:30pm
Thursday, April 21:
7:00am – 5:00pm
Friday, April 22:
7:30am – 1:30pm
Download the new OLC Conference Mobile App
Available now in the Apple iTunes store for iPhone and iPad
Available now in the Google Play store for Android
Please note: As part of our “green” initiatives, OLC is no longer using paper forms for session evaluations. Please use the OLC Conference mobile app or website to evaluate each session by clicking on “Evaluate Session” within each session listing. Don’t forget to refresh your mobile app frequently to stay up-to-date on the latest program changes.
Each session evaluation you complete (limited to one per session) using the mobile app will be one entry into our contest. There will be five $25 gift cards awarded to five individuals who complete session evaluations using the mobile app.
Create Your Personal Schedule
Add/remove sessions from the Program Listing on the website or in the mobile app to create a list of sessions you want to attend! Click on “Add to My Schedule” for each session you want to add to your personalized schedule. View your schedule in the mobile app or on the My Schedule tab on the program page.
*You will need to be logged into the OLC Conference Management System to use this feature. If you are a presenter, you already have a user account. Otherwise, if you do not have an account, please create one. The system will prompt you to log in or create an account.
Activate Your Access to Conference Materials
Ensure you have access to all the uploaded session materials and streamed session recordings.
- Log into your OLC website user account, then click the “Activate” button below to access session materials and streams.
- Select “Program” or “Streamed Sessions” from the “Activate” landing page.
- From the “Streamed Sessions” link, click on the desired session title.
- You will find and orange “Watch This Session” button in the top right of the page for each session that is being streamed.
- Presenter-provided session materials (if available) can be downloaded by clicking on the orange “Session Materials” button. If there is no button, the presenter has not yet uploaded their materials.
A step-by-step procedure of how to access and view the streamed session recordings may be found on our FAQ page (in the Virtual Conference FAQ section).
It’s spring in the South, which means sunshine and occasional rain storms. Expect weather in New Orleans to be highs in the low to mid 80s, and lows in the mid 60s. We recommend you bring an umbrella or poncho for your culinary expeditions into the French Quarter. Don’t forget a sweater or jacket for air-conditioned conference rooms.
Whether you are driving or flying to New Orleans, view your transportation options on the Travel Page.
Wonder which colleagues are attending the conference? View the onsite attendee list here (.pdf). Please note: those attendees who opted-out of providing their contact information during the registration process are not included on this list. This list is for attendee networking only. Sharing the attendee list with any person, company, or institution outside of registered conference attendees is strictly prohibited.
Tuesday OLC pre-conference workshops are available to Innovate conference attendees at an additional fee. Wednesday morning workshops are part of the regular conference program; all registered attendees are invited to participate at no additional fee. For any workshop you plan to attend, be sure to click on your workshop session listing on the Program page. Look at the FILES section (in the middle of the page) for possible handouts posted by your workshop presenter (must be logged into your OLC user account and have clicked on “Activate” above to access these uploads) and specific instructions (example: download a certain app to your mobile device) that may be posted in the session description. You will want to download and print any worksheets or handouts for that workshop and bring those with you. Workshop presenters will have a very limited number of copies on hand, and we are unable to print copies for you onsite.
Be Where the Action is…in the Innovation Lab and Innovation Installation
Introducing…. the #OLCInnovation Lab, located in the Napoleon Ballroom exhibit hall (3rd floor). Join us for Innovation Lab sessions throughout the conference, or participate in Quick Lab Demos led by Phylise Banner and Robbie Melton. Hear from the experts, download the apps, play with some fun gadgets, and spend time innovating with our “lab technicians”! View the full schedule here.
Interested in learning more about innovation and what it means? Visit the interactive Innovation Installation, located adjacent to the Innovation Lab (Napoleon Ballroom exhibit hall (3rd floor). Curated by Dr. Rolin Moe, with support from Chris Mattia, Dominic Williamson, and The Seattle Pacific Art Center, the installation is a thorough and critical look at the term innovation, its use in society, and the hidden histories of the term and its usage. Come explore with us!
Attend the Wednesday Awards Luncheon
OLC and MERLOT invite you to join us for our annual Awards Luncheon. The luncheon takes place Wednesday, April 20 at 12:00pm in the Grand Ballroom (5th floor). Tickets will be available for purchase Wednesday morning at the registration desk; $25 attendees, $60 guests. Be there for a great meal, help us recognize excellence in online learning, and enjoy some networking time with your peers.
Join Keynote Speaker Angie McArthur for a Book Signing
Thursday, April 21 – 4:45pm – 6:00pm | Napoleon Ballroom Exhibit Hall (3rd floor)
Join keynote speaker Angie McArthur for a book signing of her book Collaborative Intelligence: Thinking with People who Think Differently . Books may be purchased and signed during the Innovate Reception immediately following the keynote.
Additional Items of Note
- Focus groups will be conducted throughout the conference. If you received an invitation, consider accepting it. Most attendees find they leave a focus group energized and with many relevant take-aways from the session. These are primarily invitation only events with limited capacity, so RSVP right away if interested.
- New session types! Part of creating a conference on Innovation is trying out a variety of new session types. Notice that rather than all standard presenter-with-PowerPoint led Education presentations, you will find our steering committee has developed a wide-array of new, interactive sessions. These include Conversations that Work, Research Highlights and Trends, Emerging Ideas, Solution Design Summit, Career Forum Roundtables, and MERLOT TAACCCT Sessions. Refer to the mobile app, website, or printed program for details. Come try something new and different! We will welcome your feedback on these new formats in our post-conference survey.
- Don’t forget to visit the exhibitors and enter to win some fabulous Booth Drawing prizes. Visit our Special Events page and learn about our new Exhibitor stamp card contest – win an iPad Air 2 16GB and other prizes!
- Attendees are encouraged to bring their laptops and mobile devices to sessions, as many presentations are interactive sessions. There are power stations located in the exhibit hall (Napoleon Ballroom, 3rd floor) where devices may be recharged as needed.
- Complimentary wireless internet connection for conference attendees is available in the public and meeting space of the hotel. Those guests who booked their hotel through our conference website will also receive complimentary internet in their guest room.