Attending these masterclasses will provide you with actionable and impactful strategies you can immediately apply to your teaching and learning contexts.
- Readiness for Online: Innovative and creative teaching practices in the online learning environment
- Design Principles: Leveraging visual communications to promote accessible learning design
- Student Support: Transforming our approaches to student success to improve outcomes for all learners
- Quality: Methods for ensuring quality online learning across courses, programs, and institutions
OLC Accelerate 2021 pre-conference master classes will take place live via Zoom on September 17, 2021 and are available for an additional fee. For more information about adding workshops to your conference registration, see our FAQ below.
Individual Session Descriptions
AM Master Class (10:00am – 1:00pm ET)
Planning Your Remote To Quality Journey
Presenter: Nicole Weber (Online Learning Consortium)
Thinking about how to leverage what your institution learned from remote teaching to develop a cohesive blended and online learning strategy that centers on quality? Join us to reflect on what we have learned during the pandemic, apply quality practices to our work, and leave with a plan you can enact to advance online and blended courses, programs, and institutional strategy based on your role!
Burned Out: Stories Of Compassion Fatigue
Presenters: Whitney Kilgore (iDesign), Patrice Torcivia Prusko (Harvard Graduate School of Education)
Learning designers are critical to the success of the digital transformation of higher education. This session is designed to support learning designers who have led the charge during COVID to support their campus in the transition to emergency remote teaching and so much more. How do we make use of the momentum gained during COVID times and advance the field of learning design in a thoughtful way? This workshop will allow us to ideate on what’s next for the field.
After a conversation related to the article Burned Out: Stories of Compassion Fatigue authored by the co-presenters, we will engage in an interactive workshop of reflection, problem definition, and solution design.
Participants will be able to:
- Explain the elements of compassion fatigue and burnout, and how it is experienced by those in the learning design field.
- Identify what factors support or hinder work-life balance.
- Apply findings to both compassion fatigue and burnout that is experienced by learning designers and other staff that supported the pivot to online learning.
PM Master Classes (2:00pm – 5:00pm ET)
Boldly Awakening The Ordinary: Aligning Design Principles And Practices For Social Impact
Presenters: Ben Scragg (Online Learning Consortium Inc.), Angela Gunder (Online Learning Consortium), Madeline Shellgren (Online Learning Consortium), Adam Croom (University of Oklahoma), Jonathan Lashley (Idaho State Board of Education)
This hands-on, collaborative workshop, geared towards designers of all levels, will invite you to connect with a burgeoning community of practice to celebrate and hone your design perspectives, align your values with design action, and develop the foundations for more sustainable and inclusive teaching and learning environments in your context.
Building Momentum For Fall 2021: Capitalizing On The Transition
Readiness for Online
Presenter: Tawnya Means (University of Illinois – Gies College of Business)
In the Chronicle of Higher Education, José Antonio Bowen (well-known for ‘Naked Teaching’ or teaching without technology) considers why we need to embrace change, stating that ‘those that stay the same during the transition will end up losing.’ The last three semesters have brought about significant change, with the pandemic changing norms and expectations. How will you adjust? As you prepare to teach in Fall 2021, learn how you can take what you have learned to create a better and more engaging experience than either Fall 2019 or Fall 2020.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I add a pre-conference master class to my existing registration?
- Log in to your OLC user account: https://my.onlinelearningconsortium.org/s/login/
- From the event registration page, select “Manage my Registration”
- Select the “…” dropdown button next to your attendee record
- Select “Purchase New Sessions” from the dropdown
- Select the pre-conference workshop you will like to add to your registration
- Continue the checkout process to complete your purchase
- If you have any difficulties, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Is there an additional cost for the pre-conference workshops?
Pre-conference master classes are $125 each. Registrants with an “All Access Pass” will received complimentary master classes, but must register in advance.
Both pre-conference master classes I’m interested in are held at the same time. Can I still sign up for both?
Yes, you may participate in two or more OLC pre-conference master classes. If two are held at the same time, you would be able to attend one live and watch the other one on-demand. All pre-conference master classes will be available for on-demand viewing for one (1) year post-conference to registered attendees of each particular workshop.