Introduction to Learner Experience (LX) Design Methods, Part I: PersonasTrack : Online Design
Levels : Beginner
Eligible for Online Teaching Certificate elective : Yes
Learner Experience (LX) Design utilizes well-established user experience (UX) design, service design, and design thinking methods to focus the design of synchronous and asynchronous learning experiences on those who matter most: the learners. Try as we might, no course design is perfect for every learner.
Drawing from methods used in user experience design, learning design, and service design, this introductory workshop provides a basic overview of what LX Design is, and a taste of how it can help you identify and solve some of the difficulties your students may encounter in your course.
Note: This workshop is eligible for a digital badge for participants who complete all three workshops in the Learner Experience Design series. Upon completion of all three workshops, participants should contact email@example.com to notify. A badge will be issued after confirming that all requirements have been met.
- Differentiate between learner experience design, user experience design, learning design, and service design.
- Develop, share, and iterate upon a basic set of student personas.
- Discuss how personas could be used to prototype or iterate on new and current course modules.
This is an asynchronous, week-long workshop which will begin on a Monday and end on the following Sunday. The workshop will require approximately 6-8 hours of work, including reading research-based articles, viewing presentations, engaging in online discussion forums, and submitting assignments. Total length of time to completion: 7 days.
What are the key takeaways from this workshop?
- An overview of learner experience (LX) design and its uses
- Definition of a persona in relation to LX design and higher education
- Examples of the uses of personas in higher education
- Creation of a prototype persona
Who should attend?
- Instructional Designers
- Faculty who teach in online and blended formats