Data Stories: An Introduction to Data Visualization
Delivery Mode : Asynchronous Workshop
Levels : Beginner,Intermediate
Eligible for Online Teaching Certificate elective : No
Please note: Workshop passes and coupons do not apply to this offering.
Data visualization is about presenting data visually so we can explore and identify patterns in the data, analyze and make sense of those patterns, and communicate our findings. In this course, you will explore those key aspects of data visualization, and then focus on the theories, concepts, and skills related to communicating data in effective, engaging, and accessible ways.
This will be a hands-on, project-based course in which you will apply key data visualization strategies to various data sets to tell specific data stories using Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets. Practice data sets will be provided, or you can utilize your own data sets.
Week 1: Introduction and Tool Setup
Week 2: Cognitive Load and Pre-Attentive Attributes
Week 3: Selecting the Appropriate Visualization Type
Week 4: Data Stories and Context
Upon completion of this course, you will be able to create basic data visualizations that are effective, accessible, and engaging. In support of that primary objective, you will:
- Describe the benefits of data visualization for your professional situation
- Identify opportunities for using data visualization
- Apply visual cues (pre-attentive attributes) appropriately
- Select correct charts/graphs for your data story
- Use appropriate accessibility strategies for data tables
Basic knowledge of Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets is required to successfully complete this course. Resources will be included to help you with the basics should you need them, but time spent learning the tools is not included in the estimated time for completing this course.
What are the key takeaways from this course?
- The ability to explain how data visualization is connected to data analytics
- The ability to identify key data visualization theories
- Creating effective and engaging data visualizations
- Applying appropriate accessibility strategies to data visualizations
Who should take this course?
- Instructional designers, faculty, and higher education administrators who need to present data in effective, engaging, and accessible ways will benefit from taking this course
Please note that coupons and workshop passes do not apply to this offering.
If you register and pay for an OLC workshop and are unable to enroll (due to personal schedule conflicts, illness, etc), we will be happy to apply your payment to another OLC workshop in the same calendar year upon your written request to email@example.com. No refunds will be given.