We’re less than one month away from the excitement of OLC Accelerate 2019. Your OLC Accelerate Field Guide team has been hard at work preparing a ton of fun and exciting events for the upcoming conference. At our orientation session on Tuesday, October 22, we had the chance to share details about some of these great events! Our mission is to enhance the conference experience of first-time attendees and provide additional networking opportunities. So what can you expect from us next month?
- Field Guide Station: The Field Guides will have a table available at the Dolphin Convention Foyer right by the Registration Desk. The Field Guide Station serves as the rendezvous point for all tours and Talk-Abouts during the conference. There will also be information on sessions and opportunities to plan meetups and meals! Come stop by anytime. There will be Field Guides available to answer questions, give directions, or just chat on Tuesday from 3:00-7:00 pm, Wednesday from 7:00 am-4:30 pm, Thursday from 7:3 am-3:45 pm, and Friday from 9:00-10:30 am.
- Tours: Field Guides are here to help you feel comfortable in the conference space. There are a few opportunities to tour the Swan and Dolphin alongside a group of other attendees. We’ll visit the conference breakout areas, exhibit hall, breakfast and keynote area, accessibility points (elevators and escalators), restaurants, water complexes and fitness area, and other exciting opportunities. Those tours take place on Tuesday from 6:00-6:45 pm or Wednesday from 10:00-10:45 am. We will also host a group visit to the Exhibit Hall, Technology Test Kitchen (TTK), and Speed Networking Lounge on Wednesday from 11:00-11:45 am.
- Talk-abouts: Interested in stretching your legs during the conference? The Field Guide Talk-about sessions depart daily from the Field Guide stations. These walk-and-talk sessions are designed to help attendees connect in small groups around topics of shared interest. The conversation is very unstructured and the walk is gentle. We have two routes (short and long) that help you see the surrounding hotel grounds and have the chance to get some sunshine. These are a great alternative to regular conference sessions. Come share your insights with us!
- Engagement Maps: OLC Accelerate is known for the large selection of breakout sessions. Sometimes, it can feel like there is simply too much to choose from! The Field Guide Engagement Maps are great tools to help you decide between all of the great choices. Field Guide volunteers have created curated session maps based on various online learning topics including Student Services, Accessibility & Universal Design, OER and OCW, and Administrators & Emerging Leaders. You can pick up an Engagement Map at the Field Guide Station or Power Hour event or view the maps through the OLC Conference App.
- Mission Passport: This brand new event at OLC Accelerate was formed through a collaboration between the TTK, Speed Networking Lounge, and Field Guides! The Mission Passport Challenge encourages all attendees to visit these areas to complete mini challenges. Completing challenges will help you earn stamps that can lead to exciting prizes (did someone say claw machine!?). You’ll receive your Mission Passport when you check in to the conference. Come stop by the Field Guide station to learn more!
- Power Hour: Another new event at OLC Accelerate this year, the Field Guide Power Hour is a free, Wednesday morning breakfast! This hour is dedicated to helping you organize your conference experience. Come to the breakfast to learn how to navigate the OLC Conference app, select your sessions, and get engaged through social media. Come have a coffee with us in Asia 3 on Wednesday from 8:00-8:45 am.
- Luncheon: Participating in the Field Guide program means a free ticket to the Field Guide Kickoff Luncheon on Wednesday (12:00-1:25 pm) in Northern C. This lunch, served at family-style tables, focuses on conversation, learning, and networking. You’ll select a table based on a few different topics connect with other conference attendees. Field Guides will be stationed around the room to help facilitate conversation and share stories. Come join us!
Phew. The Field Guides sure do have a lot going on in November. If any of those events interest you, we’d love to get you involved. If you are a first-time attendee or if you are looking for additional networking opportunities, we recommend signing up as a Field Guide Participant. If you have attended the conference before and love to network and share knowledge, we’d love to have you as an official Field Guide. Here’s how you can get involved:
- Sign-up to be a Field Guide or a Field Guide Participant: If you or someone you know would like to get involved, please fill out the Field Guide Program Sign-Up form. A member of the Field Guide team will reach out to you to explain events in more detail.
- Join Slack: Slack is a great way to connect with other attendees before, during, and after the conference. Get signed up and check out the conversations already happening with the OLC Field Guides.
- Talk to us on Twitter: Twitter is another great way to connect with attendees. Use the hashtags #OLCAccelerate and #OLCFieldGuide to connect.
Conferences can be intimidating, but they don’t have to be! Never hesitate to approach a Field Guide during the OLC Accelerate conference if you have a question or want good conversation. If you have any questions before you arrive in Orlando, post them to the Field Guide Slack Channel or reach out to us on Twitter. We look forward to meeting you in Orlando!
|Torie Wynn (Co-Chair, Field Guide Program)|